New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie Document format - movie clips

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dogtonharrants

dogtonharrants is on a distinguished road

I have a DV mini camcorder, a Firewire cable, an iMac with iMovie. Using this equipment I am able to shoot film then import it to my iMac and subsequently edit it. As you would expect.

However I have a requirement to pass the video clips to someone who wants to do a separate edit but on a PC. The imported clips are in 'iMovie document' format and therefore unrecognisable by the PC. How can these clips be transformed into an appropriate format?

(There is no Firewire input on the PC so I am envisaging loading the clips from a DVD to the PC - they just need to be in the right fomat)

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I think you have the option of exporting the clips to DV stream, which should be usable on PC software?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

When you post a question, please post the version of the software you are using.

iMovie HD creates .DV files as I recall, so those likely need to be converted to the equivalent AVI file.

iMovie 08 places the files into an event folder. I'm assuming a regular mini DV format will be imported as a .DV file also. For HD, iM08 converts the content to a .MOV file in the Apple Intermediate Codec format.

The location of the iM08 events is in your home folder in "Movies/iMovie Events/<eventname>". Ignore the subfolders within them and copy the content to a DVD.

I would try this on a small scale first so you can learn what conversion techniques you may have to use. Also, a single video file maybe bigger than what can fit onto one DVD, so you have an issue there. I think Toast can help there by splitting the file across multiple DVDs.

As for the PC. You need know what formats can be handled in the software on that box. Don't expect an answer here as this is a Mac site. Sure, you might get lucky.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What do I need to connect a MacBook to a 42inch Bravia | Unbelieveably long render and export times »