New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD movie does not fill screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Trooper

The Trooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive

I have a 20" widescreen iMac G4. Usually, when I play a DVD, it goes into full screen, but since the viewing area is wider than the computer screen, there is black space at the top and bottom, just like if I were watching it on a TV. But right now, the movie I'm watching doesn't do that. It just sits in the middle of the screen with black space at the top and bottom, and the sides. Why doesn't it fill the screen? Is there something I can do to fix this, or does the DVD have limited resolution that makes it incapable of filling the screen?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

check the ratio on the dvd box to see what it says...some dvd's are set to a ratio different than 16:9 or 3:4

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

Thanks, but that still doesn't really explain why there'd be black space at the top and bottom and the sides.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If the DVD is set to a ratio other than the standard widescreen or standard 4:3 ratio then it could be that the ratio the disc has sets it that way. Why a company would do that is beyond me but there are some DVD's that don't use standard screen ratios which would could give you the bars on all 4 sides

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

That sux....any idea how to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

All computer dvd drives have progressive scan (part of the software) so it will read if it's a wide screen or 4:3, try simply double clicking on the actual viewer, or as said before, check your setup option and preferences very carfully.

Edit: Unless the video is a different region code, which may affect something or simply the movie was recorded that way..

Also you may need a codec as a last resort to fix this problem. Most probably an mpeg2 codec.
QUOTE Thanks
brutusmc

I've had the same problem with a 23 inch cinema display. I think it tends to happen on DVDs from Universal Studios movies if I remember correctly, so I assumed it had something to do with how they were encoding their DVDs. Playing it on a 17 inch doesn't give the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dvd Burning | How can I see MPEG on iMovie? »