Specs:
    17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
    Camcorder preference
    direct to DVD
    hard drive equipped or memory stick
    DV tapes

What do you recommend? (general video shooting: kids, daily life, etc)
    "Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."

Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
    If it were me, I'd prefer HD/ Memory Stick (SD) because the HD is always there, so it offers a direct connection to whatever. Memory sticks are always a good idea, since they are cheap, small, popular, and can fit a lot of data.

However, most people and opinions about camcorder storage may be to go for DV tapes, but I don't see what's great about them... somebody please enlighten me.

Mac compatible first and foremost...
    'specially if you plan on editing the video. My personal preference in order are 1) Tape-based MiniDV 2) Hard Drive/Memory Stick and 3) DVD. From what I last heard there's LESS Compression on the first, which leads to a better picture; 'specially if you plan on editing it. Capturing and rendering out back to DVD or tape does take a slight toll on the quality of the video. But then on the other hand if you like instant gratification and plug the camera directly into the TV and press play on the camcorder and that's it; maybe the DVD camcorders would work well for you. I forget if regular DVD players play the smaller disc's, but it would be nice if they did.

There are some models of HD/Memory stick camcorders that do not play nicely when importing the footage into a Mac. Mostly all MiniDV cameras work as far as capturing goes. I think DVD camcorders have the most problems for directly importing video files.

I took the leap and went HDV last year and downconvert to SD after editing, since I don't have an HDTV yet. At least it'll all be ready when Blu-Ray burners and authoring finally comes out.

Specs:
    17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
    Thanks for the tips.

I currently have a VHS-C camcorder that I hardly use anymore. I prefer using my digital camera for video clips that I could import to my mac. I still haven't gotten around to purchasing an A2D converter box for the camcorder. So I was just curious on what are the best options for upgrading the camera. This could be the "big" package for Christmas. I also asked my wife what she would prefer: a digital camcorder or the Nintendo Wii. LOL Both are pretty much around the same price. She said the Wii. I can go ahead and buy the converter box.
    "Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."

Camcorder = Converter Box
    Most camcorders that support firewire capturing have A>D converters built in. So she can have her Wii and you get your converter box ("cept is just happens to work as a camcorder as well)

Specs:
    Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
    Hard drive is good.

dv tape usually have better quality this is why people still use them. Capturing is a pain so Hard drive is nice cause no capturing, but compression can look poor for the hard drive camcorders.

Thread Information