New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Changing the iMovie "movie projects" path

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johntkucz

johntkucz is on a distinguished road

I don't want iMovie (08 or HD) to create a 'iMovie Projects' folder in the / User / Movies path whenever I edit my clips. I want to edit my movie projects out of a /User/'Film Editing' path. How do I do that and stop iMovie from creating the same stupid folder every time it boots? Thx.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

As far as I know you can not change it. Also keep in mind that three folders in the Movies folder are used for iM08. You are fighting the system.

You could likely use Unix links to trick iMovie to use your folder.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
johntkucz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
As far as I know you can not change it. Also keep in mind that three folders in the Movies folder are used for iM08. You are fighting the system.

You could likely use Unix links to trick iMovie to use your folder.
Changing where my movie projects folder is stored is not really "fighting the system", but what do you mean "unix links"?? sounds interesting. I'm familiar with intermediate unix/linux coding. Could I use terminal to change that default path?
QUOTE Thanks
johntkucz

The problem is that other movie editing software will have to save all the folders in that same folder, too. But I guess if just stick with 08 then it's not that much of a problem
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You are fighting the system because iM08 is limited when placing content. It is the whole 'Apple knows best' issue. Beyond your home Movies folder, it can also place content onto external drives at the top level in an 'iMovie Events' folder.

Also note that iM08 looks at those directories as a library. Placing other content in them manually isn't likely advisable.

You didn't mention 'another' editor before, but it might be possible to share the iMovie content with it. Maybe. I think this dangerous though because if either application alters the file, who knows what will happen the other application.

Unix links are pointers to real files or folders that appear as a file or folder when referenced from the system, such as the Finder. In Terminal do a; man ln.

To link a folder; ln -s <remoteRealFolder> <linkname>

A link is kind of like a Finder Alias. Don't try Finder aliases for this purpose though.

Lastly an internet search turn up this trick which I think might require QuickTime Pro.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
johntkucz

Quote:
You are fighting the system because iM08 is limited when placing content. It is the whole 'Apple knows best' issue. Beyond your home Movies folder, it can also place content onto external drives at the top level in an 'iMovie Events' folder.

Also note that iM08 looks at those directories as a library. Placing other content in them manually isn't likely advisable.

You didn't mention 'another' editor before, but it might be possible to share the iMovie content with it. Maybe. I think this dangerous though because if either application alters the file, who knows what will happen the other application.

Unix links are pointers to real files or folders that appear as a file or folder when referenced from the system, such as the Finder. In Terminal do a; man ln.

A link is kind of like a Finder Alias. Don't try Finder aliases for this purpose though.

Lastly an internet search turn up this trick which I think might require QuickTime Pro.

xstep,
Great link-find. That provided the resouces I needed to solve this dilemea or at the very least make major head-way in resolving it. Thanks for taking the time to genuinely provide specific refences to this thread. I appreciate your wisdom.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
johntkucz

Quote:

Thanks for the ln reference. I'm familiar with that command from linux and am interested in using more unix commands wiht mac os. But why provide all the fancy unix ln commands (other than that being WAY more cool and interesting than simple finder alias), why not just make a finder alias? My mind isn't totally grappling this problem as it was earlier so I'm not as invested as the details of the dilemma. Such is the way with delays in answers.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Both aliases and links have there problems. I happen to trust links because I've used them for more than 10 years while my knowledge of aliases is limited and have seen people complain about limitations.

Here are a couple of links you can read about them. Link1, Link2.

I'm really not sure if one is better than the other for your purpose.

QUOTE Thanks
johntkucz

Quote:
Both aliases and links have there problems. I happen to trust links because I've used them for more than 10 years while my knowledge of aliases is limited and have seen people complain about limitations.

Here are a couple of links you can read about them. Link1, Link2.

I'm really not sure if one is better than the other for your purpose.
xstep,
Sweet.
Great references on links. Thoe are just a whole lot cooler than aliases. I'll see which ones work best though. That provided the resouces I needed to solve this dilemea or at the very least make major head-way in resolving it. Thanks for taking the time to genuinely provide specific refences to this thread. I appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mpeg, Mpg, avi, wmv, mov | iPod video converter! »