New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Final Cut Express 4 - Tutorial?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

topshotta

topshotta is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a Canon HF10 camera as well as Final Cut Express 4.0. I've been reading through the user manual, however feel like I need some hands on tutorials. Short of taking a class - are there any books or DVD's out there that anyone can recommend to help me learn the basics? In 8 months I'm going to be a father and want to create some home movies that go beyond a dad narrating. I've played around with iMovie and that is fine, but I want to do a bit more than that, hence acquiring Final Cut Express.

Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Some of the tutorials at the LAFCPUG site could be handy. I have Proapptips in my bookmarks. FCPtips looks interesting. Creative Cow FCP tutorials.

Note that most tutorials are likely for Final Cut Pro. This should be fine for most things.

Check Amazon for some book reviews. Search the iTunes store for pod casts.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Tracks83

Tracks83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens

I know you you feel. I felt the same way. I just switched to a Mac and I bought a Cannon HG10 camera which uses AVCHD format. There are hundreds of video, step-by-step tutorials on YouTube. Goto YouTube and do a search on Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro they are basically the same program. Pro has more filters and effects. Thats the only difference. Also try this site http://www.finalcutstudioschool.com/...l/Welcome.html.
The guy that has this sitye has tons of tutorials. His username is Emeek77 so try that in YouTube.
Also if you want to get some more help you can go to http://vimeo.com/finalcutpro.

Trust me. i was PC based and did editing in Sony Vegas Pro. I switched to a Mac in April and my after about 2 weeks of viewing tutorials on YouTube for FCE and the information I gave you I'm putting out some nice work. Watch...how you will you improve.

Tommy
http://www.vimeo.com/TNP this is my channel on Vimeo.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

emeek77 on Youtube has some fantastic tutorials on Final Cut. I think he may have some for Express, but the ones I've seen were on Pro.

QUOTE Thanks
BS0D

BS0D is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo

Hey everyone!

Just swinging by to see if anyone has other good links, cuz teaching yourself on FCE4 is kind of complicated. None of the links I found were complete enough, and there is still a lot I dont really get...

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
jehoover

jehoover is on a distinguished road

There is a book out called Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand. It is an apple certified level 1 book. It comes with a dvd that you install that has a lot of audio and video clips. The book takes you through lessons and you use the content in the dvd to learn to edit etc.

Each substantive lesson takes anywhere from 45 min to 1 hour.

It is a great place to start, but just get out there and take lots of video and play with it.
QUOTE Thanks
BS0D

BS0D is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 'Penryn' - 2,5 Ghz - 2 Go RAM - 250 Go HD - 8600M GT 512Mo

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for FREE tutorials
I've already invested quite a lot lately, and I'm kinda running out of money right now!
QUOTE Thanks
Bluray

Bluray is on a distinguished road

I bought a book called 'Final Cut Express 4 - Movie Making for Everyone'
which is published by Peachpit Press and is available through Amazon price 28.99 (cover price).
It is supplied with a DvD rom with lessons and sample files on it.
It cover everything from basics to more advanced stuff.
It's Apple certified and is well worth a look.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compressor suddenly non-functioning | How to get MLB.tv back into Quicktime »