New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iDVD wide screen issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluetongue

bluetongue is on a distinguished road

Hi...my first time here

I've been using Sony Vegas to render my pojects as AVIs.
And I've been using IDVD to Author my dvds.
First I import the AVI files into Imovie so I can insert chapter marks.. then I share the Project with IDVD.

Well everything has been fine in 4:3 But now I need to work with 16:9 and it just ain't happening.

I'm using footage shot in 16:9 edited in 16:9 render out in sony Vegas as a pal DV 16:9 AVI...I've changed all the settings in Imovie and IDVD to 16:9... but with no luck.

When the final product is burnt to DVD and played on a Wide Screen TV... the only thing that is 16:9 is the DVD menu... when I go to play the main movie there's blackbars left and right of the image... it's not 16:9 and the image looks stretched vertically.

But here's the twist.
When I drag a clip straight to Idvd without going via Imovie - I get the 16:9 image I've been seeking.

So Unless I can create chapters in IDVD without going Via IMovie... I'm out of luck.

I'm using IDVD 6 and I movie 6

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I not sure this is the iDVD widescreen bug, that exists in both iDVD 5 & 6 or something to do with you importing AVI files.

Here are some links a Google search led to; first, second, third, and this forum.

The strange part in your question is you say the menu is 16:9 ratio. I do recall others seeing both.

You can add chapter markers using iDVD, but it is not flexible. You can only tell it to occur on a frequency. Use the Help to find how to do that.

If you can export from your editor to Quicktime, that might be helpful for you.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
gomommy

gomommy is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem (that the dvd I made in iDVD displayed them as squished vertically on the dvd player). I had originally used a .dv file, but when it looked bad I removed it, and just put a .mov file there, instead. It Worked! I had thought I was supposed to use only .dv files at first, so I had converted it from a .mov file in Quicktime Pro. But I guess I didn't have to do that. I don't care how it worked, all I know is that it plays the widescreen image correctly on the DVD player now, and it was just by using a .mov file, NOT a .dv file in IDVD. Hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It has been a while since I used iMovie, but I believe there is a option in iMovie HD when you import you need to tell what format the media is.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with iMovie HD! | Final Cut Studio 2 install on MacBook Pro? »