New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - To buy, or not to buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone,

So, I'm thinking about treating myself to a new iPod for my birthday.
Which is a huge deal for me, because i'm a terrible decision maker. Some members who helped me choose my camera may be able to verify.
Anyway, I was considering a nano. After that, a classic, now, a touch.
At first I would never consider an iPod Touch, the touch screen just doesn't seem very natural to me, I don't really like the idea of scrolling through cover flow, especially since for some reason on iTunes I have a whole bunch of album covers for songs by the same artist on the same CD.
There is a lot of covers.

But, the wifi is a BIG plus for me since I use dial up at home.
If i'm at a friends house, or a relative, I could check my email and do some facebooking! That's sounds like heaven to me!
The idea of Mail and wifi on an iPod is so cool to me, but I don't know if i'll be able to get past the new style (Not to mention the price) and take the dive.

I know for sure that I wouldn't be taking it with me every day when I go to school, at 7AM on a dark school bus doesn't seem like a fun place to be touching a screen on an iPod. But, I have a shuffle which mostly meets my needs for the walk, and even if the shuffle doesn't suit me much longer for commuting, I have a mini that only needs a new battery for now.

But, for the price of an iPod Touch I could also trade out my clamshell and get a decent laptop and do the same things, just not conveniently.

Also I have large size fingers, has anyone had an issue with that with the iPod Touch?

I'm just REALLY BAD at this decision stuff!
It's like decisionophobia! (I just made that word up)

Before I choose I will be going down to the Apple store to try all of the iPods, but I don't know if that will help my decision much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tanner.
QUOTE Thanks
thejumpingflea

thejumpingflea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post
Hello everyone,

So, I'm thinking about treating myself to a new iPod for my birthday.
Which is a huge deal for me, because i'm a terrible decision maker. Some members who helped me choose my camera may be able to verify.
Anyway, I was considering a nano. After that, a classic, now, a touch.
At first I would never consider an iPod Touch, the touch screen just doesn't seem very natural to me, I don't really like the idea of scrolling through cover flow, especially since for some reason on iTunes I have a whole bunch of album covers for songs by the same artist on the same CD.
There is a lot of covers.

But, the wifi is a BIG plus for me since I use dial up at home.
If i'm at a friends house, or a relative, I could check my email and do some facebooking! That's sounds like heaven to me!
The idea of Mail and wifi on an iPod is so cool to me, but I don't know if i'll be able to get past the new style (Not to mention the price) and take the dive.

I know for sure that I wouldn't be taking it with me every day when I go to school, at 7AM on a dark school bus doesn't seem like a fun place to be touching a screen on an iPod. But, I have a shuffle which mostly meets my needs for the walk, and even if the shuffle doesn't suit me much longer for commuting, I have a mini that only needs a new battery for now.

But, for the price of an iPod Touch I could also trade out my clamshell and get a decent laptop and do the same things, just not conveniently.

Also I have large size fingers, has anyone had an issue with that with the iPod Touch?

I'm just REALLY BAD at this decision stuff!
It's like decisionophobia! (I just made that word up)

Before I choose I will be going down to the Apple store to try all of the iPods, but I don't know if that will help my decision much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tanner.

Well I own an iPhone and have not used my 30 gig video iPod since. The Web and Mail apps are truly great and very well made.

If you don't mind the limited memory and touch screen definitely go with the Touch. It isn't just an iPod, it is a web browser and email device.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I vote to not buy.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post

That is the best option. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my iPod touch. Very useful on so many level. BUT, a laptop is a heck of a lot better. If you can get a low end MacBook and then upgrade both HardDrive and Ram then go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
That is the best option. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my iPod touch. Very useful on so many level. BUT, a laptop is a heck of a lot better. If you can get a low end MacBook and then upgrade both HardDrive and Ram then go for it.
Thanks!
I think that's the way to go now, but, i'm not sure. My budget is a little puny for any kind of MacBook, but i'm thinking maybe an iBook G3 or maybe a Titanium G4 or something, as long as I can surf download and youtube i'm fine, the rest doesn't matter, and my next huge concern is cost, so I think i'm going to go to the dark side (gasp) for a beater upper, because let's be honest, we all know they're cheaper......and we know there is reason.
Maybe i'll wait on the Touch, it's still pretty new out there (sorta), I didn't buy my old nano until it was out for a little bit.
And maybe the price will be down by then. Who knows.

Now the question is,
Nano or Classic
I'm leaning slightly towards Nano, since, if i'm getting a laptop, I might as well put videos on it too, and when I think about it, besides some home videos, I don't really even have any videos.......
QUOTE Thanks
DistantHoller

DistantHoller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83

I bought the touch for about a week ago and I think itīs the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have big fingers and I have no problem writing on it. If you "jailbreak" it you will be able to use third party programs wich are great and many.

I have a macbook also, but they donīt compare... you canīt have your MB in your pocket..

A dead fish can float with the stream, but it takes a live one to swim against it.
QUOTE Thanks
dammitdan57

dammitdan57 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.2Ghz C2D 1GB RAM 120GB HDD 8x Superdrive

try craigslist or something and buy a used one. ever since the 32gb came out there are many people selling there 8gb and 16gb. thats how i got mine. i love it, i sold my 30gb video because once i got my touch i never touched the video once. having safari on it is great. i use it almost every night before bed surfing the internet instead of having my macbook on my lap.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitdan57 View Post
try craigslist or something and buy a used one. ever since the 32gb came out there are many people selling there 8gb and 16gb. thats how i got mine. i love it, i sold my 30gb video because once i got my touch i never touched the video once. having safari on it is great. i use it almost every night before bed surfing the internet instead of having my macbook on my lap.
Well I wouldn't be able to surf in my bed with a MB or a Touch, unless I brought my bed somewhere with wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

I was in the Apple store recently, and the iPod Touch is an intriguing device indeed. However, just how many places can one get free wifi connectivity? Even at home, I've got a secure connection, so I would need to set the WEP. For every location I go to with a secure connection, I either would not have access or need to set it up. The hassle wouldn't be worth the benefit, especially since I already have a Palm Treo from work, which gets me internet and email anywhere on Verizon's wireless network. So what's so great about the Touch? I just don't get it, even though it is one attractively designed device.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« software upgrade and fomating question | Probably a dumb question. »