Thread: Washed my iPod!

Washed my iPod!
    Following a recent trip to the gym I made the error of putting my 1GB iPod nano in the washing machine with my sports kit! Needless to say, it didn't fare well! I thought it was a total gonner, but when I popped it on its docking station the Apple symbol briefly flickered on the screen. It seems to be trying to start up, but can't quite manage it. The Apple symbol flickers on, the background briefly illuminates, then goes off over and over again.

It's probably a lost cause, which is fair enough as it wasn't exactly designed for a long hot bath! However, if anyone knows of anything I could try to revive it, I'd love to give it a shot.

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Let it set for a couple more days to totally dry out inside.

If none of the electronics were disconnected during all that tumbling around, you may have luck.

Some batteries though are set to never function again once wet. Had this happen to my mobil a couple of weeks ago after dropping it in water. Don't have a clue if the battery is replaceable or not.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Yup, give a week or so to ensure that it is as dry as possible. It is a Nano, so there are no moving parts that may have been damaged. Your only concern is detergent deposits on the circuitry inside.

If, after a week or so there is still no joy, you have nothing to lose - I would try re-immersing it in completely clean fresh water and leaving it there for a few hours. The objective is to dissolve any such deposits. Then do the "one week wait" again and see how that goes.

I am sure that this whole thing is very upsetting to you - it must have been tough once you realized what had happened. Hang in there!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information