New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Washed my iPod!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gemma

Gemma is on a distinguished road

Following a recent trip to the gym I made the error of putting my 1GB iPod nano in the washing machine with my sports kit! Needless to say, it didn't fare well! I thought it was a total gonner, but when I popped it on its docking station the Apple symbol briefly flickered on the screen. It seems to be trying to start up, but can't quite manage it. The Apple symbol flickers on, the background briefly illuminates, then goes off over and over again.

It's probably a lost cause, which is fair enough as it wasn't exactly designed for a long hot bath! However, if anyone knows of anything I could try to revive it, I'd love to give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Let it set for a couple more days to totally dry out inside.

If none of the electronics were disconnected during all that tumbling around, you may have luck.

Some batteries though are set to never function again once wet. Had this happen to my mobil a couple of weeks ago after dropping it in water. Don't have a clue if the battery is replaceable or not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Yup, give a week or so to ensure that it is as dry as possible. It is a Nano, so there are no moving parts that may have been damaged. Your only concern is detergent deposits on the circuitry inside.

If, after a week or so there is still no joy, you have nothing to lose - I would try re-immersing it in completely clean fresh water and leaving it there for a few hours. The objective is to dissolve any such deposits. Then do the "one week wait" again and see how that goes.

I am sure that this whole thing is very upsetting to you - it must have been tough once you realized what had happened. Hang in there!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Really Weird Problem | Hesitation on my ipod »