New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Gen 5.5 iPod -- video (podcasts) not formatted for this iPod?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Certain video podcasts (only certain ones -- not all) are not being synced to my iPod. The error message says they are not playable on this iPod. I have subscribed from iTunes, they are not marked as "Apple TV" or "iPhone" etc., so they should play on my iPod. They do play just fine on my computer.

I have unsubscribed, deleted, and resubscribed. I have done a complete restore of my iPod. I have used disk utility to see if it finds anything out of the ordinary on the iPod hard drive (did not find anything -- said it was fine). I have marked the offending podcasts as "not new" and tried syncing only "new" podcasts. None of this has worked! Even when marked as "not new" the same podcasts still come up with the error of not being playable! Seems like they should not show up there at all, as I have them set to not sync. Anybody seen this? Anybody got any answers?

Thanks in advance!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I've come across a few different video podcasts that won't transfer/play on my iPhone, so I think it's a shortcoming of how the podcast was encoded.

If you list a few of the podcasts you're having a problem with, perhaps someone here can try transferring to their ipod to verify this.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Thanks! I have looked at the "get info" pane, and all are either MPEG4 or Quicktime, with an H.264 codec, so that sounds right. The podcasts (watch for a theme, here <grin>) : Anthony Bourdain, Food Guru and Cooking up a Story. A few of Ming Tsai's don't sync (but some do) and there is one Tekzilla that won't sync (somenthing about DIY - it is pretty old).

Anybody successfully subscribe to these? They play great on my computer, just won't go to iPod.

Thanks for any help!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod screen shot? | iPod touch crashing »