New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Best way to transfer photos to a Nano

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geppetto

geppetto is on a distinguished road

Daughter has just bought a Nano and I have recently scanned our family photos (3000+) into iPhoto on my Mac Mini.

I would like to copy them over onto her Nano.
I see how you can do it using iTunes and not selecting save original file size to save space but on a test run, it still saves as images of 500K and over.

What would be an adequate file size/resolution for an image on a Nano that would be viewable but not to huge and is there another way to convert all the images to a Nano friendly setting automatically?

Thanks for any help..
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

What you do next depends on what your objective is. If you simply want them to display nicely on the Nano, you can do what I do. I copy the originals to a wholly separate folder (which I usually call iPod Photos) and then tell iTunes to sync photos from that folder. iTunes "optimizes" the photos for the iPod as it does the transfer (i.e. size reduces them). The net result looks great on the iPod screen.

If however, you want to be able to pull them off somewhere else, full size, you will need another approach, perhaps enabling hard drive mode on the iPod. I am guessing that this isn't what you want, based on your comments above, but it is another option here.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
geppetto

geppetto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply

Yes, it's just to get them for viewing on the Nano.
They are archived at full resolution elsewhere.

I was just checking wether iTunes did actually optimize them for the iPod or what.
As I said, a few of the optimized test photos were over 500K in size which seemed a bit big for what would end up being viewed on a small screen.
Just wondered if I'd missed an option to compress them some more in an iTunes menu somewhere.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppetto View Post
Just wondered if I'd missed an option to compress them some more in an iTunes menu somewhere.
Thanks again
...not that I am aware of. I haven't done anything to make it happen - it just happens "automagically".

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 4th gen iPod restore | ipod screen shot? »