New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - iPod Move

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I wanted to copy my iTunes to an external hard drive so I created the directory on my external hard drive where I wanted it to go and then set it up in preferences, but when I open my iTunes my music doesn't show. Any ideas? Thanks.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
I wanted to copy my iTunes to an external hard drive so I created the directory on my external hard drive where I wanted it to go and then set it up in preferences, but when I open my iTunes my music doesn't show. Any ideas? Thanks.
Did you tick the "consolidate my library" box?
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

Yes I did. I failed to mention in my original post that I actually moved the entire iTunes directory over to my external drive.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
Changing the iTunes folder only has the effect of pointing to it for future imports. You need to reimport from your new location. It's easy, but if you have a billion songs, it will take a while. Here's an old post with a step by step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
...1) COPY the whole iTunes Music file structure from your old location to your new location. [have you COPIED?]
2) DO STEP ONE BEFORE PROCEEDING--Then within iTunes, select all the music in your Library and delete it (don't worry). iTunes will ask you if you're sure (you are), then will ask if you want to Trash files too (Keep Files, for now).
3) In iTunes Advanced Preferences tab, change the iTunes Music location to the new folder on your external drive. [you've done this]
4) Go to your new external folder with all your music in it, select all the files and drag it in to the iTunes app (or press Command + O in iTunes). Double-check [from within iTunes] that your files work there.
5)Finally, manually delete the files in your old iTunes folder. Don't forget to empty the trash when you're done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Size of applications | iPod repair information - anyone been through the process? »