New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - 8gb vs 16gb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IckyThump

IckyThump is on a distinguished road

does 8gb run out fast? I am a big music fan and I"m worried about how quickly 8GB will disappear, will the SDK apps be a large amount of memory? is the 16GB worth the extra money? also is there an exact date for when the SDK ships to the UK?
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

Depends on how big your music collection is. I only sync my favorite tunes to my Touch which leaves me with a good amount of space. The jailbreak apps are usually under 500kb and i would think the apps developed in the SDK would be the same. I'm not sure about a date but it will be in February.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

the real driver to me is video -- if you want to carry around a lot of movies or tv, more gigs are required. I used to think that I wanted to carry my entire music collection (about 30 gigs) with me, but with just a little bit of scrutiny I put everything I really would want to hear on my IPT at around 6gig. I have a 16 gig IPT (Xmas present), so I went ahead and loaded videos and tv (just 'cause I could). I figure if there's something I want on there's that's not there now, I can quickly resync and add it. With everything on there (including 2 feature length movies, 2 full seasons of the BBC version of The Office, my contacts, some photos, etc), I've still got about 2 gigs left.

For around town, if you don't mind updating your playlist now and then to get newer/different tunes on the device, 8 gig should be enough. If you travel and want everything, or lots of movies/tv, then 16 gig.

Or wait until later this year when rumor has it a 32gig IPT is coming.
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

I have an 8GB. It's jailbroken with a page and a quarter of apps. I have 1,100 songs (from 2 minutes to 10 minutes, so average size files), along with 5 full length movies, and I still have a few hundred MBs left over.

Unless you have a huge music collection (most of the time you can narrow down what you want on your ipod anyway) or want all your DVD collection on your ipod, the 8GB would seem fine. It works great for me and I have have a lot, relatively.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to send Nano for testing? | iTunes Splash Screen »