Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPod Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   3rd party apps? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-hardware-accessories/94354-3rd-party-apps.html)

IckyThump 01-27-2008 07:56 AM

3rd party apps?

I'm planning to buy an ipod touch sometime soon, but I've heard you can only get 3rd party apps by jailbreaking it? and this voids the warranty?

do they plan to put out an ipod touch allowing 3rd party apps without voiding the warranty?

cheers.

IckyThump 01-28-2008 06:18 PM

anyone?

boneheadz 01-28-2008 06:33 PM

The SDK is due out in February. We should start seeing new apps sometime after that. I am assuming you have seen the new apps from apple. (maps, stocks, notes, etc.)

IckyThump 01-28-2008 06:55 PM

well I wanted to be able to install things like, guitar hero 3, the other guitar thing where it's like a real guitar on the ipod, but i've been told the only way to get them is to jailbreak the ipod, but i dont want to break it

nirvana 01-29-2008 04:09 AM

Then wait till next month, we will be seeing alot of software being released for the iPod Touch and iPhone. There's no reason while we won't see programs like the guitar app with the release of the software development kit.

IckyThump 01-29-2008 04:16 AM

ah okay thanks! this is for the UK too yes?

I just hoped i didn't have to jailbreak it :)

Kash 01-29-2008 11:34 AM

In order to get third-party apps right now, you have to use a process called jailbreaking. Unfortunately, jailbreaking is a violation of the EULA, and as such, against M-F rules to discuss.

Since you seem to be a bit hesitant, you're probably best off waiting a few weeks for the SDK and official third party applications.

zacman 01-29-2008 05:54 PM

I'm gonna wait, and i'd advise others to wait too.

NZer 01-30-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash (Post 583095)
In order to get third-party apps right now, you have to use a process called jailbreaking. Unfortunately, jailbreaking is a violation of the EULA, and as such, against M-F rules to discuss.

Since you seem to be a bit hesitant, you're probably best off waiting a few weeks for the SDK and official third party applications.

Hi There

Are you sure its against EULA? we have many iphones selling in NZ that are jailbroken it is advertised and it is 100% legal.

Perhaps that law only applies in your country?

cheers

Kash 01-30-2008 03:56 PM

When we talk about license agreements and laws here at Mac-Forums, we're referring to US law.

NZer 01-30-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash (Post 584137)
When we talk about license agreements and laws here at Mac-Forums, we're referring to US law.

I understand that the US laws are very strict and are less "Free" than other countries but as this has an international flavour of people on here i guess its ok to discuss what laws may apply in different countries?

Im sure there is a thing you may call "Freedom of speech" ;-)

Cheers

Kash 01-30-2008 07:52 PM

The reason we focus mainly on US law is because it says so in the rules:

Quote:

Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.

Viizei 02-07-2008 10:02 AM

So, new applications works on touch too? when they're comin' ? Not just on the iPhone? :D

giulio 02-07-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacman (Post 583388)
I'm gonna wait, and i'd advise others to wait too.

I'd advise the opposite! Im loving whats out there, right now.
It's a week into February, no word from Apple yet.

Viizei 02-07-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giulio (Post 589622)
I'd advise the opposite! Im loving whats out there, right now.
It's a week into February, no word from Apple yet.

It's always in the end of month ;D