New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Rental service a little buggy, in our favor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

FYI: I rented a movie and watched it a while ago. In iTunes it shows that it has 19 hours left. I sent it to my iPhone and when I went to play it on there, it gave me the 24 hour warning and it says I have 24 hours to play it on the iPhone.

So I guess the system isn't perfect. If you rent a movie and don't have time to watch it in the 24 limit, you can "life raft" it over to your ipod to get an extension.

Update: when I moved the movie back to iTunes, iTunes adopted the new time limit from my iPhone. I moved it back to my iPhone yet again to see if it would reset again, but no luck.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

Also if you change the time on your Mac back to say 30 days you have an extra 30 days on top of the rental time
QUOTE Thanks
dwb356

dwb356 is on a distinguished road

i'm sure a patch will be released soon to take care of this issue...in the meantime, i think i'm going to start downloading...hahaha

2 GHz MacBook
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
8 GB iPhone 3G 3.1
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy124 View Post
Also if you change the time on your Mac back to say 30 days you have an extra 30 days on top of the rental time
Yeah, I found that too. Apple needs to take a page from Microsoft and learn how to overcome that system clock trick.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

^^ Well I hear the same effect is felt if you take your clock ahead
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Yeah, I found that too. Apple needs to take a page from Microsoft and learn how to overcome that system clock trick.
Won't playing with the system time/date play havok with email and time machine? Not to mention calendar alerts?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

^^ yeah. The trick is, move you clock forward before you download, start the movie to initiate the "doomsday clock", then move the system clock back to where it should be.

It'll probably still mess things up and ,overall, it's a poor method to try to hang onto a rented movie. There are much much simpler ways of obtaining a rented movie indefinitely that I won't mention due to forum rules. I just thought people may want to know about the move to iPod glitch in case they need more than the 24 hour limit to finish up their movie.

QUOTE Thanks
northy124

northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

I reckon you could keep the rental if you move it out of folder its downloaded to and renamed/re-encoded not sugesting anything mind
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tell Apple your dissapointed!!! | O2 iPod touch misinformation... please explain! »