New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - iPod Touch Update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PaladinGuy

PaladinGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4

What's up with Apple charging for the new upgrade for the iPod touch??? I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, right when they provided the free upgrade for Calendar. They don't usually charge for upgrades to begin with. Does anyone think they might allow recent buyers to upgrade for free, similar to the deal they did with the iPhone?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

I don't own an iPod touch and to be honest - as much as I've been tempted to get one - chargeable updates has put me right off.

I don't know what the deal will be for recent purchasers I think your best bet is to give Apple a buzz and see what, if anything, they can offer.

Did they do a similar thing with charging MacBook owners for enabling 802.11n on their MacBooks or was that just some rumour based on no facts?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

They don't usually charge for updates? Because I bought my MacBook just before Leopard was announced, and I'm really mad they wouldn't upgrade me for free!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
They don't usually charge for updates? Because I bought my MacBook just before Leopard was announced, and I'm really mad they wouldn't upgrade me for free!
An OS is a bit different - Leopard is a great OS.

The Touch update is just 5 applications which I think (note: I have no idea, complete guess here ) would be 'fairly simple' to port from the iPhone anyway.

I guess I do think Mail will bring a little more to what already looks like a great device.

EDIT:

Oh yeah; Maps looks pretty cool as well. The other 3 - to be honest I think they should have been available from the beginning
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Did they do a similar thing with charging MacBook owners for enabling 802.11n on their MacBooks or was that just some rumour based on no facts?
Yea, they charged $1.99 for the 802.11n enabler for "accounting purposes"

I really don't like the concept of charging for the apps. Sets a bad precedent of doing the same for future iPhone updates.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I have no problem with charging for apps in theory, but if the product seems unfinished in the first place, that's a different story.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I don't have anyhting against charging for apps either, but for in this case they should have been there anyway, as someone else said. And besides the Mail and Maps, the others more more like widgets than full-blown apps. I mean, stocks and weather? And Notes isn't much at all either. Maybe $5-10, at best.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

Ok, this is more of a rant than anything else. I am currently an iPod touch owner since it came out along with many others. I am glad they released more applications for the iPod Touch. I am extremely disappointed that they are charging $20 for the applications. And even more so they are now selling iPod touch WITH the extra applications at the SAME price!! I really don't understand this. /end of rant.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I think I'm still in my return period (got it for Xmas) -- perhaps I'll just return it and get another one with the apps installed.

Edited to add: I think it's ridiculous that apple is charging for this, particularly for new purchases (given the timing of Xmas).
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

^^ you'll end up paying a restocking fee more than the price of the apps.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

True, it is unfair to charge a whole $20 (maybe $10 would of been better) but I can't say much because I'm going to purchase it anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
notphilip

notphilip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post

An OS is a bit different - Leopard is a great OS.

The Touch update is just 5 applications which I think (note: I have no idea, complete guess here ) would be 'fairly simple' to port from the iPhone anyway.

I guess I do think Mail will bring a little more to what already looks like a great device.

EDIT:

Oh yeah; Maps looks pretty cool as well. The other 3 - to be honest I think they should have been available from the beginning
Fairly simple to port is an understatement, it is extremely simple. They both use the same version of the program. "Porting" for apple was writing a script that unpackaged the programs and put them in the necessary folder. Anyone who has jailbroken their touch would know that they use the exact same programs and installing it was a matter of drag and drop. This is complete bunk that they would charge users $20 for something they offer for free on new touches that are otherwise exactly the same. Apple, anyone with half a brain will jailbrake their touch and install the programs that way if they already didn't do that.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
I have no problem with charging for apps in theory, but if the product seems unfinished in the first place, that's a different story.
If it seemed unfinished, why buy it in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I don't have anyhting against charging for apps either, but for in this case they should have been there anyway, as someone else said. And besides the Mail and Maps, the others more more like widgets than full-blown apps. I mean, stocks and weather? And Notes isn't much at all either. Maybe $5-10, at best.
No offense, fleurya: your comments and others like it made me chuckle. Using wi-fi to check your email from an iPod is SWEET. Seeing your current location live on a map in your hand and searching for the nearest ______ is too cool. You say you'd pay $10, so you're begrudging Apple $10 over these totally sweet apps. $20 is not a lot of money!
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
If it seemed unfinished, why buy it in the first place?
Well, most fools buy things assuming there will be updates for free. Since Im not one of them, I bought an iPhone instead.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
No offense, fleurya: your comments and others like it made me chuckle. Using wi-fi to check your email from an iPod is SWEET. Seeing your current location live on a map in your hand and searching for the nearest ______ is too cool. You say you'd pay $10, so you're begrudging Apple $10 over these totally sweet apps. $20 is not a lot of money!
I agree that the Mail app is sweet. In fact, I was alluding to the fact that it and Maps are the only apps worthy of purchase, or even being called an app. The other are more like simple widgets, which are normally free.

But then I realized that, as far as I know, the Google Map app is free on pretty much every other handheld/cell phone platform, so why should Touch users pay for it. Basically, that leaves only the Mail app worthy of a price tag. Should you buy it? If you have Gmail, no. Google has done a good job of optimizing it's web apps for iPhone. But if you have multiple emails, it's worth something. Too bad you have to buy all that other "bundled" stuff. Feels somewhat Microsoft to me.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« nano 2g | iPod no longer recognizes video »