New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - how to remove duplicate music files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

al gilliland

al gilliland is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

Recently I tried to combine several folders of music. I has assumed that like photos, the computer would tell me when a duplicate appeared and I just wouldn't transfer it. Instead I now have around 11,000 music files instead of around 6000. I know I can go into duplicates and find the duplicates through Itunes. But does deleting duplicates in Itunes also delete the files in the music folder. Also noticed that in several cases I now have a song and then the same song but with a 01 in front of the song (hence the computer did not recognize the song as a duplicate). So any small programs or quick ways to get rid of the duplicates

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Al
QUOTE Thanks
jskwarek

jskwarek is on a distinguished road

You can use itunes to get the job done, and if you allow it too, it will also delete the song from your music folder. If the dupes all have 01 in front of them then sort the folder by name and delete everything at the top with 01 in front of the name.

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
al gilliland

al gilliland is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input Jason. Will give it a try. Also want to try Dupin as it seems like a good little program for the job

Cheers

Al
QUOTE Thanks
saneman

saneman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: Mac mini Model Identifier: Macmini3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

How do I remove duplicate songs if I do not use itunes sync
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who is getting the iPod Touch 4g? | iPod Touch Playlist Transfer back to Computer »