New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - What do you do with your iPod Touch when your not using it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Normally when I am done with my iPod Touch I simply press the sleep button (top left button). I find sometimes that when I come back to listen to it the battery is completely dead. Isn't that what the sleep button is for? Is it necessary to actually turn it off all the time (hold sleep button and slide slider)?

I am always sure to put it to sleep but I still have this same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Are you still playing music or have Wi-Fi turned on? Last I checked, putting the iPhone/iPod touch to sleep when playing music doesn't actually stop the music, it just turns off the screen. So it could very well be that your iPod is still running when you think that it's sleeping.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Same goes for IM, and other 'servicy' type things. Excluding the ftp server, that stops when it sleeps.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Are you still playing music or have Wi-Fi turned on? Last I checked, putting the iPhone/iPod touch to sleep when playing music doesn't actually stop the music, it just turns off the screen. So it could very well be that your iPod is still running when you think that it's sleeping.
Yeah the Wi-Fi is off and so is the music. Well at least I am pretty sure it is. When I listen to music I will push the sleep button as well. I'll be sure that I turn it off just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
chriswright101

chriswright101 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ

Yeh I discovered the same thing. Apparently putting it to sleep doesn't actually conserve any battery power. You have to turn the device off completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

That isn't true. I put my iPhone to sleep and if Wi-Fi isn't turned on, my battery doesn't run down.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

I charged my iPod Touch for a couple of hours yesterday. I was listening to it before i went to bed for a couple of songs. I was getting sleepy so I paused the song, put it to sleep, and I myself went to bed. When I woke up this morning the battery was drained a huge amount. I don't understand why! Never happened with my iPod Video.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
I charged my iPod Touch for a couple of hours yesterday. I was listening to it before i went to bed for a couple of songs. I was getting sleepy so I paused the song, put it to sleep, and I myself went to bed. When I woke up this morning the battery was drained a huge amount. I don't understand why! Never happened with my iPod Video.
Turn the WiFi off and repeat...see if it drains it the same amount
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrfyLube View Post
Turn the WiFi off and repeat...see if it drains it the same amount
My WiFi isn't on. The option to turn on/off WiFi has been grayed out for the longest time already.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Call apple...maybe you got a dud
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrfyLube View Post
Call apple...maybe you got a dud
Yeah it looks like I'm going to have to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Yea, definitely get it checked out. I leave my iPhone on Sleep all night and when I wake up in the morning, the bar doesn't move at all, even though I have it set to check for email every 15 minutes.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
EasternCanuck

EasternCanuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac

I put mine to 'sleep'. I would think that having to boot up from shut down and turning on would drain more battery power than sleeping.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin270

kevin270 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard

If your WiFi setting is grayed out, and you see the words "No WiFi", this is a hardware problem! This problem is associated with draining the battery at a very rapid pace. The only solution is repair. Rebooting, reseting, restoring, etc. - none of these options will do you any good. Get it back to Apple ASAP while you still have a warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

"iPod - What do you do with your iPod Touch when your not using it?"

I use mine as a flotation device.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to clean ipod connector | Recover db from ipod ????? »