New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Stupid, probably blindingly obvious, question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Do iPods skip?

The only reason I ask this is because the specs show the iPod having up to 25 minute anti skip protection. Does that mean that it skips without the feature enabled?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I have never had it skip on me.
You can't disable the anti-skip on it
I think the only way it could skip is if for 25 straight minutes all you did was have the thing shaking

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I've had it skip on me once. Never happened again, though.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Rediculous! Sony CD Players had the RAM based fix to CD playing fixed! Oh Yeah Apple misses that! Oh Please
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I kid you not witeshark, my iPod did indeed skip.
QUOTE Thanks
nwilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Rediculous! Sony CD Players had the RAM based fix to CD playing fixed! Oh Yeah Apple misses that! Oh Please
dude...learn how to spell
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

iPod should never skip due to the shock. It has enough buffer to withstand 10 minutes of earthquake tremor. It may skip or stop playing a song when it detects encoding error, or if the size of the song exceeds certain length. On my iPod mini the music cuts off at certain point if the size exceeds 12MB or so.
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

The iPod will sometimes freeze if you jolt it at the instant it tries to load a new song or songs into memory, which is once every 20-25 minutes or so. So for runners this is sometimes a problem.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenLava
iPod should never skip due to the shock. It has enough buffer to withstand 10 minutes of earthquake tremor. It may skip or stop playing a song when it detects encoding error, or if the size of the song exceeds certain length. On my iPod mini the music cuts off at certain point if the size exceeds 12MB or so.
I have never seen this problem with the regular iPods....A majority of my songs are 30-45 mb and I have had no problems with them

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
pitythefool

The 'anti-skip' of iPods is quite different from anti-skip in CDs, just because of the way data is read from the source.

In a CD, data is 'continually' read from the disc, and so jolting the player causes the reading to be interrupted, resulting in an audible 'skip'. Anti-Shock mechanisms on CDs work by grabbing larger 'chunks' of data at a time, and then playing from RAM, which, due to its non-mechanical nature, is not influenced by jolts in the same way. Because the data is stored in RAM, it eats more battery, which is why you can usually disable the feature, if you're sat at a desk for example.

In an iPod, the data is read from the hard-drive within the device, and because it is stored in a (compressed) media format (MP3, AAC or whatever), it usually needs more processing anyway (I think - my knowledge starts to fall down a bit). Anyway, the songs are stored in RAM, and the iPod can store a few there at a time, resulting in less HD access. (This is why you'll generally get better battery-life if you listen to albums at a time, because the HD requires less 'jumping-around' to get at the tracks it needs.) So most of the running of the iPod is from the RAM, which is non-mechanical and therefore not affected by jolts. It's only at the point where the iPod reads data from the HD that it is susceptible to 'mechanical' jolts, and seeing as it will usually try to queue things up before it needs to access them, it's usually not noticable. Hence you'll notice the HD spinning up every now-and-then through an album - most likely half-way through a song.

I've prolly made quite a few mistakes here, I kind of know 'how' these things work in principle, but without intracate knowledge of the situation.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Surely it'd be a good idea never to need the skip protection, as if it skips then that'd mean the head wobbled and possibly damaged the drive's surface.
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Another question:
Can you change fonts on the iPods? Namely the iPod mini, they shouldn't have made the font bold for that thing, the screen is too small.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I, er, stepped on my iPod >.< | Time between tracks once downloaded »