New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Multiple iPods on one PC?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

My daughter lives in Boston, visits a couple of times a month, has her iTunes stored on my wife's PC. So she has her playlists and all that.

I just bought the wife a new iTouch (incredible device) and to do a quick setup, we loaded some of our daughter's music and some of my wife's pictures onto the iTouch.

Now the question I have (and I'm relatively new to iTunes/iPods/etc.) is whether my wife needs to have a separate installation of iTunes to keep her music library and playlists separate from the prodigal daughter's?

A friend casually mentioned looking into soemthing called "copypod" but I don't know if that program solves any problems... or whether I even have a problem brewing. Can iTunes discriminate between the Nono and the iTouch when they are connected and know whose library/playlists to jump to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I'm no expert but we have 3 ipods using one computer and all we do is change the sync setting to manual and just load the items we want. For instance for music we each made our own file and put our own music in the file. Than when we sync each person just selects their file in the music section. Same thing with videos,photos and etc. Probably an easier way but this works for us. ..
I do have a question for the experts. I bought games from itunes. Can my daughter load them on her ipod which is the same as mine? She syncs to the same computer?

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
Raxious

Raxious is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 10.5.4, 2GB RAM, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

drgrafix--Macgirl34 is right. The easiest way to do it is plug either ipod into the computer, click the name of the ipod when it shows up in itunes, and under (i think) the music tab, there should be a setting that will allow you to choose which playlists to upload. Just make sure you create playlists (file->new playlist) that contains the music you want on that ipod.

macgirl34--you should be able to sync the games too since your daughter syncs to the same computer. plug her ipod in and check her settings to see if they allow it.
QUOTE Thanks
hugo14

hugo14 is on a distinguished road

My Household has 12 ipods, which all have different music, and they have all different music - we just manually choose which playlists and podcasts ect.

The games are on about six of them, so its no problem really.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

As you have seen above, there is no issue with one computer, multiple iPods. Essentially, manage each iPod separately by having it sync to its own "playlist". I do this myself, creating different Smart Playlists (to make construction of the list easy) per iPod (I manage three devices, a 1st gen Nano, a 5th gen 30 GB Video, and an iPhone).

However, I am working from one set of music, and just divvying it up amongst the different devices as I see fit. All of what has been suggested above works on the same premise. Your music and that of the "prodigal daughter" are all jammed together into one iTunes library. If you ever want to break this apart at a later time (say she gets her own computer and wants to move her music permanently to her computer and off yours) this could be a pain.

So, what you may want in addition to the above "one PC, one iTunes library, multiple iPods" approach is "multiple iTunes Libraries" as well. In this approach, you keep your daughter's music in her iTunes library and you keep your music in your iTunes library. This makes things really simple.

There are two major ways to do this.

1/ If you are on a Mac, you can create a user account for each of your daughter and yourselves. Each account gets its own iTunes library. Keep your music separated into the correct user account and all is well. I suspect that the same approach will work for Win XP and Win Vista, since both support multiple users on one PC.

2/ iTunes 7.x (the current version) supports multiple libraries on the same user id. See this web page for details.

Pick whichever approach makes the most sense to you and enjoy!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod touch jailbroken 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 | 160 gig ipod classic screen issues... »