New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Mac Requirements

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

purplej037

purplej037 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to buy an iPod Classic. The Apple Store page states that the requirements are "Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later" but I use v10.3.9. Does this mean I cannot use the iPod without spending more money on updating my version?
Secondly, another requirement is internet connection. Can you use the iPod without an internet connection?
QUOTE Thanks
Mo_274

Mo_274 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black

I'm not quiet sure about OS X version compatibility, but I guess it depends on the iTunes version that you use, is the latest itunes compatible with OS x 10.3.9 ? apple says yes :
Quote:
Macintosh Requirements

* Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later or Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later required for iTunes
* Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later required for iPhone
* 500MHz G3 processor or better
* QuickTime 6.5.2 or later
* 256MB RAM
* Combo/SuperDrive to burn CDs
* Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music
Regarding the internet connection, u need that to update the firmware (two updates are already out for iPod nano 3rd Gen) and of course itunes store.
As I'm not completely sure about the 1st point I'd say wait for others answers just to make sure.
QUOTE Thanks
purplej037

purplej037 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have the latest version of iTunes and it works fine on my 10.3.9.
Could you please explain what "update the firmware" means, I don't actually know what firmware is.
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Firmware is a piece of software which tells a piece of hardware how to function.

For example, an iPod has firmware to tell it how to boot up the hard drive or access the memory in it, how to display stuff on the screen, how to play music out to the headphones, that sort of thing.

It's a little like getting a software update on a computer. Like when you download the latest version of iTunes.

Updating the firmware on an iPod isn't a necessity, but it can often help as firmware updates often resolve issues some people experience when they use their ipods.

Hope this helps in some way,

Mel

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FM Transmitter | Ipod Touch Freezing »