New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - So Apple are playing games. Video out locked on IPT.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I just discovered this.

You can't play video out from an Ipod touch unless you buy a $50 cable from Apple. There's no advantage to it - I use a standard one I had laying around for my 80gb Ipod vid. Works fine.

But no, Apple don't like that. For $50 I get the same functionality, but THEY get the $50.

Isn't there another company we see mentioned here a lot that does the same kind of thing? Thanks Steve. I like your stuff but I'm not getting sucked into that kind of game. Back to Windows for me.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
I just discovered this.

You can't play video out from an Ipod touch unless you buy a $50 cable from Apple. There's no advantage to it - I use a standard one I had laying around for my 80gb Ipod vid. Works fine.

But no, Apple don't like that. For $50 I get the same functionality, but THEY get the $50.
I seem to remember that Apple had to change the video out connector for the new iPods - either that or keep the weird video out of the headphone jack. Whatever it was, they would affect a group of users whichever way they did it.

Quote:
Isn't there another company we see mentioned here a lot that does the same kind of thing? Thanks Steve. I like your stuff but I'm not getting sucked into that kind of game. Back to Windows for me.
If you think an issue with your iPod is worth switching back to Windows for then maybe you're better off there.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
I seem to remember that Apple had to change the video out connector for the new iPods - either that or keep the weird video out of the headphone jack. Whatever it was, they would affect a group of users whichever way they did it.

If you think an issue with your iPod is worth switching back to Windows for then maybe you're better off there.
I'm not sure what was wrong with the wierd video out of the headphone jack in the first place. Keeping that wouldn't have affected anybody.

The problem for me is that they have added the chip specifically to prevent anybody from using any cable other than their own. Which costs $50. For a cable.

I'm definitely in a minority here - reaction so far has been pretty much 'What's $50? Stop whining'.

Funny stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
I'm not sure what was wrong with the wierd video out of the headphone jack in the first place. Keeping that wouldn't have affected anybody.

The problem for me is that they have added the chip specifically to prevent anybody from using any cable other than their own. Which costs $50. For a cable.

I'm definitely in a minority here - reaction so far has been pretty much 'What's $50? Stop whining'.

Funny stuff.
This is a phone and they wanted the headphone jack to have mic input also. Video would have been too much.

And it's $50 for a cable AND power adapter. My reaction is that I don't care because I don't use video out. If I did, I would be upset.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
This is a phone and they wanted the headphone jack to have mic input also. Video would have been too much.

And it's $50 for a cable AND power adapter. My reaction is that I don't care because I don't use video out. If I did, I would be upset.
That makes a bit more sense. I have to say, when I first posted the thread I didn't realise that the vid out was now from the dock port, instead of the headphone port.

It still leaves the doubt about putting a proprietary chip in to snuffle out competition though. That seems to serve no purpose other than to allow jacking up of price.

[edit] Just a small point - they have done the same on the Touch and the Ipod classic, which aren't phones. that's not to say your point isn't good though.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice

Quote:
Yes, it would. If they'd have kept it then the other method would be disabled, and vice versa. You are unlucky enough to be among those who are affected.

Quote:
No, they've added the chip to make it work - the old cable wouldn't work.

Quote:
Funny stuff.
Technology, eh? I have a room full of perfectly serviceable computer parts that are completely useless.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I went into **** Smith to ask about a cable to connect an 80gb iPod Vid to a tv and the guy said I needed an Apple Cable worth about $70 ... he didn't have any.

Then I went into the AppleStore around the corner and they asked me which iPod I had ... then he told me they didn't have a cable in stock but I could go to **** Smith and just buy a generic cable for a lot less $$$

I'm confused to say the least ...

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

I agree that the technology needed to be changed, even though it's a bummer since I can no longer use my generic cable. The part that I don't get at all is why Apple is forcing to buy a $50 product. They could probably charge half that and still make a profit, not to mention they make us buy it with the dock and remote. Can't I just buy a cable alone to do it for like $10? Even that would be overpriced...
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

What has Windows got to do with a iPod?

$50??? Oh no!!! Run to the mountains! If you want it, pay up.

Oh and if you take that attitude about Apple, then we'll be better of without you.

I could get a Zune and, I would still be locked into Microsoft's proprietary music format, and software, and accessories!!! And your moaning about a cable? At least Apple have DRM free music. iTunes leaves Windows Media in the dust.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:

It won't be long until 3rd party cables work with the Touch and 6G iPods. Windows won't help, if you're still iPod bound. Maybe you should get a Zune and see how well that works with WMP11.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
No, they've added the chip to make it work - the old cable wouldn't work.
Are you quite sure about that?
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

Quote:
Not 100% as I read in on the Internet , but it's what was said - the old cable won't work. Do a search on the AppleInsider forums, that's where I read it.

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Quote:
If you think about it, the video out is no longer coming from a phone jack and needs to be able to carry either a composite or COMPONENT signal now. The old cables can't do it, unless you had a dock.

I do think it's lame they force us to buy a power brick with the cable when they could've offered just the cable for half the price or less.

QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

Give it a bit of time and 3rd party vendors will work around it. Motorola did the same crap for the longest time and eventually found out the hard way where it gets them, upset owners and loss of sales.

It is sad to see apple venturing down the same path instead of learning from others mistakes. I am disillusioned with apple and I think that is what the OP was trying to say. I have been using mac for about a year from windows and part of the appeal was a company that has pride in their products and is more pro consumer. I suppose it was my naivety and my own desire to think apple was really any different.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
It is sad to see apple venturing down the same path instead of learning from others mistakes. I am disillusioned with apple and I think that is what the OP was trying to say. I have been using mac for about a year from windows and part of the appeal was a company that has pride in their products and is more pro consumer. I suppose it was my naivety and my own desire to think apple was really any different.
It is funny to see so many people's ignorance about Apple. They DO have pride in their products, perhaps too much. But pro consumer? Today's capitalism eliminates companies that try to be pro consumer.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uploading songs and video of you touch? | Gen 2 Shuffle Problems »