New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch won't work on an airplane?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Number13GT

Number13GT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10

From the Apple Website:
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Well, most airliners fly well over 26,000 feet, so does this mean it won't work onboard an airliner? I've never used an iPod aboard a plane, but I've never had a problem with ANY electronic.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Can you post a link to what you're referring to? If it has anything to do with altitude, it must be something along the lines of atmospheric conditions, in which case an airplane's atmosphere is closed and controlled.

I can't imagine why it would just not work when above 10,000 feet. I guess that means I can't listen to my music on it and ski at high altitudes at the same time.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Airplanes are pressurized, so it doesn't matter. If you carried it to the top of Mt. Everest, then you might have problems.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Number13GT

Number13GT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Airplanes are pressurized, so it doesn't matter. If you carried it to the top of Mt. Everest, then you might have problems.
Never thought of that, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cheetahastra

cheetahastra will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video

Haha I was gunna say!

I've used my Shuffle in Jet's without any problems.

2007 iMac 20" 2.0Ghz w/ Wireless Mighty Mouse
2010 iPhone 3GS 32GB - White
2008 iPod Video / 5th Generation 30GB - Black
2006 HP Pavilion DV4206TU Notebook
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Perhaps has to do with cooling - the thinner air at that altitude is less effective at carrying heat away perhaps? An odd specification for an electronic device...

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Perhaps has to do with cooling - the thinner air at that altitude is less effective at carrying heat away perhaps? An odd specification for an electronic device...
The thinner air is less of an insulator as the air closer to the ground. Arcing can occur and damage electrical components.

Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

...an interesting thought. Makes sense.

This must mean that serious mountain climbing types can bring little to no electronics along? Perhaps there are special lines of electronics made for this?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Commercial jet aircraft (transport category) in the US are typically pressurized to 8,000 feet. In part this is due to federal regulations regarding provision of oxygen to passengers and pilot access to and use of oxygen (title 14 of Code of Federal Regulations). With cabin pressurization at 8,000 ft, the touch should work just fine in any typical flying situation.

My guess is that for the specs, these simply state the environmental range for which the touch is designed and has been tested to operate. I'd bet the touch would work at higher altitudes (lower pressures), though what puaerotch said seems reasonable.

Apple could design it to work at higher altitudes, but mostly their core market isn't going to use it in such conditions. Frankly I'd be more worried about the non-operating temperature of -4F (-20C), as some people could be expected to leave them in their cars overnight. There are plenty of places in the northern hemisphere that hit and go below those temperatures in the winter.

mac57, you bring up an interesting point about gear for serious mountain climbing types. Panasonic builds the Toughbook line of Windows laptops for rugged outdoor situations. My guess is that a serious mountain climber can find a servicable mp3 player. I just tried Googling "rugged mp3" and found some links that appear to be good.

Fwiw, Zune doesn't show environmental limits. My guess is they're either close or identical to the iPod line. Also, the new nano has the same limit on altitude, and probably similar specs on the other environmental characteristics.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
JPerry2010

JPerry2010 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch

It'll work fine because the cabin is pressurized. My touch works perfectly fine on my flights back and forth from Austin to DC.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post

Apple could design it to work at higher altitudes, but mostly their core market isn't going to use it in such conditions. Frankly I'd be more worried about the non-operating temperature of -4F (-20C), as some people could be expected to leave them in their cars overnight. There are plenty of places in the northern hemisphere that hit and go below those temperatures in the winter.
[weather rant ] I wish it would go that cold... by this time of year we are normally down to pretty cold temperatures out, and right now its 80 out side and the air conditioning is on.. 2 years ago i met my girlfriend around this time and i remember the night like it was yesterday... it was freezing cold! [/ end weather rant]

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I don't see why global warming is such a bad thing. 80 degrees out at the end of October sounds like a great deal to me

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Yeah, but 100+ in July/August and major ecological changes don't sound too great.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 ipods on 1 itunes need help | Ipod in vista »