New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

USB 1 or 2 ipod connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulabee

Hi anyone, I am new to Ipods and PC's what is the difference bewteen USB 1 and 2. If I have USB1 will it be able to connect and download to the IPOD? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

USB 2 is up to 400 times faster (not usually that fast) than USB 1

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
paulabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
USB 2 is up to 400 times faster (not usually that fast) than USB 1
does this mean you can connect it to the usb 1 port?

many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

You can still connect it.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Actually there are three USB speeds:

USB 1.0 (low speed) 1.5Mb/s
USB 1.1 (full speed) 12Mb/s
USB 2.0 (high speed) 480Mb/s

Existing USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0, 1.0 is only a spec for slow devices (like mouse and keyboard) and not used as a separate port.

The iPod is compatible to USB 1.1, but filetransfer will be quite slow...
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

You'd probably want to invest in a firewire card or a usb card..(not even sure if they make 'em) but it'd take about forever and a day to transfer any large amount of songs on a USB 1...
(I think a friend of mine did 300 and took about 45 minutes-ish?) The next day he bought a firewire card.
QUOTE Thanks
gailwin

they make USB 2.0 cards. get one of those because their more useful than firewire. not much stuff you can use with FireWire but almost everything uses USB
QUOTE Thanks
bob

firewire is alot faster then usb 2.0 and it sends more power

if oyu are planning on buying a new data interface card for your ipod

firewire is your number one choice

and you can use it on dv cams
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

That's simply not true...
as I stated earlier, USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s, Firewire 400 (or IEEE1394a) is 400Mb/s, so slightly slower than USB 2.0. But still pretty fast...
But Firewire does deliver more power than USB, and I also would suggest you to buy a Firewire card, or a Combo-card that has both Firewire and USB 2.0
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
That's simply not true...
as I stated earlier, USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s, Firewire 400 (or IEEE1394a) is 400Mb/s, so slightly slower than USB 2.0. But still pretty fast...
But Firewire does deliver more power than USB, and I also would suggest you to buy a Firewire card, or a Combo-card that has both Firewire and USB 2.0
i love numbers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately those are only theoretical speeds. any data storage or speed comparison test has always ended with firewire winning. the factors i think that make the difference:

firewire is 6-pin (2 for power, 4 for data) - more bus power = more consistency

firewire is 100/200/400mbps vs usb 1.5/12/480 mbps - so if for any reason the device only supports a lower base, firewire will be much faster.

but none of it matters because firewire 800 own3s

QUOTE Thanks
nwilcox

firewire 800?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
i love numbers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately those are only theoretical speeds. any data storage or speed comparison test has always ended with firewire winning. the factors i think that make the difference:

firewire is 6-pin (2 for power, 4 for data) - more bus power = more consistency

firewire is 100/200/400mbps vs usb 1.5/12/480 mbps - so if for any reason the device only supports a lower base, firewire will be much faster.

but none of it matters because firewire 800 own3s
Right, but the initial question concerned the iPod...whicht is not FW800 compliant...
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

Wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilcox
firewire 800?
Firewire 800mbs. 2x faster that firewire
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoWeb
Wrong.
Wow, what an explicit answer!!

Anyway, USB 2.0 is a little bit faster than Firewire if it comes to maximum speed (which is rarely achieved) but the average speed of Firewire is definitely faster than USB 2.0

And Firewire definitely sends more power (between 8V and 33V, up to 1.5A) than USB2.0 (5V 0.5A)

Any comment is appreciated, ChicoWeb, but please be a little more specific. "Wrong" or "True" doesn't say much without an explanation behind...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP stamp name on back of new iPod | what should i buy 3rd gen or 4th gen? »