New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Edit text files on iPod Touch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I'd like an iPod Touch but I'd also like to be able to write text files (.rtf ideally but .txt would be okay). I spoke to my local Apple reseller who said there's no such application with it; are there any third party applications that would work? I read iPhone apps work on the Touch - is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Not yet, no.

The iPod touch has not yet been enabled for 'jailbreak', so you can't run any 3rd party applications on it.

You could of course use one of the many web-based text editors out there if you have a local wifi connection.

Or as a workaround add text to your address book in the form of new bogus contacts.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

Thanks for your reply. Once jailbreak is enabled are there any plans for such an application (I would need it standalone rather than web-based).

With regards to the suggestion you made to workaround . . . do you know the character limit for a contact? Is there a 'notes' section anywhere?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well that was quick:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/break...cess-achieved/

But it'll take a while for it to be useful.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I know this isn't exactly on topic.
However I'd like to pass on this online app to you iPhone owners. for editing of spreadsheets. It got a lot of praise on a podcast I heard a few days ago

http://www.editgrid.com/
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

Sorry for being stupid but is it a definite thing that the touch will be 'unlocked' for third party applications? Why have they done this in the first place? Did Apple never intend iPod Touch / iPhone to run third party apps or is the jailbreak there for people who wants to do these things *before* Apple let them?

By the way, I found this 'hack'.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...07092413051689

Can anyone with a Touch tell me what the limit is for the notes field? If it's over a thousand or so that hack will work fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloaded tv shows "cannot play on this ipod" | Uncapping Volume, Ipod Classic »