New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - the touch's screen.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

So I really want to buy a 16GB ipod touch, the only thing stopping me is the quality of that screen. With the negative LCD effect and the darkness of it. Can the screen be fixed, say in a software update that could allow contrast controls? Or is that not possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

I have an iPhone and have had 2 replacements, and my current one has "the checkered dot pattern" problem, the one before had the negative black effect. All 3 iPhones I've had have had defects. Since I've been reading about the defects in the touches too, and they're the same technology, I would hold off buying it. You could live my life of going to the Apple store every weekend and getting a new defective one, or you could just wait til Apple figures out how to make this stuff. That's just my opinion, based off my experiences...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The problem has been solved, but give it a couple of weeks for the older screens to get off the shelves. That way you can ensure that you get one with the newer screens that work just fine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

how was it solved? Did they start using different screens or did that firmware update fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Combination of both. There was essentially a quality control problem with a couple of batches. This is why only some of the touch owners had the problem and essentially none of the iPhone owners. Apple got its supplier to correct the problem, so the screens are back up to spec. Not sure how the firmware update is going to correct the faulty screens though...

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

I was doing some research on the apple discussion forums, I guess through the serial number or something the W37 (week 37) are bad but then they were talking about W38 and W39. Do you know what they meant by these and if so, it would make since that the newer W39 batches are corrected?

I was going to buy mine at best buy, so If i have a bad screen i think i can return it in 14 days with no questions asked. Some return policy they have, i think.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Yes, I've read the same thing about Week 38 and onward being just fine. However, I honestly can't tell you how to figure out that information. I guess you could search around a bit more or perhaps ask somebody on the Apple discussion forum.

I personally would just wait it out a couple more weeks. That way you can pretty much guarantee that you're getting a recently manufactured model. Granted, it's not a 100% guarantee, but it's better than going through the process of buying, testing, and potentially returning right now.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Just look at the serial# on the box to see what week it is and if it's >=38, you're probably safe. As it is, people are claiming bad screens are being improved by the software update, so it must have changed the drivers somehow.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

I bought a week 37 when the iPod touch first came out, and it had the negative blacks issue. Since I updated the firmware, it no longer has it. Don't worry so much about the screen anymore, it's becoming a non-issue.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Yes, I retract my previous statement, as apple has seemed to figure it out, and the latest update fixed the screen issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

Chris3d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM

Week 41 on mine ....*sigh* barely missed it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Touch firmware update 1.1.1 now avalibale! | touch problem »