New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Contact entering taken off the Touch??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/...led-297994.php

I just read an article stating Apple has removed the ability to directly enter contacts and possibly other information into the Touch. Supposedly the reason is to further differentiate the Touch and iPhone and help iPhone sales.

This is horrible in my opinion. This is like MS making 5 different versions of Windows. There's no cost difference or other justification for doing this, but it's going to limit the use of the device.

I feel like Apple is making some really bad decisions lately.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I believe it was the Calendar events entering that's disabled. Apple still claims contacts can be entered.

What bothers me about this is that, initially, the multi-touch feature page touted the QWERTY keyboard being able to "enter calendar events, or add contacts." Recently, they removed the "enter calendar events" part, after many have already ordered the Touch.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I personally don't find this to be much of a problem. The Touch and iPhone have practically the same operating system. So porting the iPhone applications over to the Touch should be no big deal. If you really want a full calendar, just replace the one on the Touch with the one from the iPhone.

Granted, this isn't something average Joe can do, but at least the option is there for the willing.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

I tend to agree. I can understand leaving bluetooth out, I guess, since it could be used to connect the Touch to a cell phone for Internet and thus really interfere with iPhone sales, but to to cripple software ('agendaware'?) is just bad form. The missing speakers flummoxes me altogether.

Between the hobbled calendar and no email and no speakers, Apple is crimping my interest. Hackers will take care of software deficiencies, but I expected Apple to not make me rely on hackers to use the product as would be expected.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
savagehenry

savagehenry will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Powerbook G4, iPhone

Believe me you are not missing much with the speaker delete.

I guess I can see the point of keeping a measured amount of separation between the touch and phone. If you look at the mini or iMac, etc. there are always a -few- things that separate the price points. Memory, Superdrive, HD space, processor speed. I see the touch "deficiencies" as the same deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No iPod has had built-in speakers, so it's not like Apple is taking out a feature that was there in previous models. Plus, like savagehenry said, it's a good thing there are no speakers on the Touch. Could you imagine a bunch of people playing their music through the speakers at the same time, especially in a confined space like a bus or a train? That would be ridiculously annoying.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Artist Repetition on iPOD | Got dead Mini off ebay, worst case possible, how much $ to fix it? »