New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - I got a new iPOD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

After agonising for about 2 ours in the SoHo Apple store in NY, I finally got a new iPOD. I chose the iPOD Classic.

I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.

I very nearly got the touch, but in the end battery life, capacity and sanity got the better of me and I got the 80gig black classic.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Cool! Post pics if you can.

QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Congrats Zoolook! I'd be interessted in a review. I'm sure others would be also.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away

Congrats on your purchase!!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Well I'll put my 2¢ in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.
Of course we do ...I'd love to read what you think
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post
Well I'll put my 2 in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...
That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time.
That was my thought as well when I noticed that I'm currently using v1.0 of the firmware. My hope was that they rushed these out to meet last week's deadline, and that 1.1 will be out in the next few weeks. Thanks for confirming my hope
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.
For SURE post the review. Will be very interesting to a lot of users here.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I'm looking at getting an 80Gb classic, so I'd be interested in a review too.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away

Congrats on your purchase!!
I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.
Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Gizmodo is saying the iPod Touch has crippled the calendar app, saying you can't add an event.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
jjhellis

jjhellis is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in a review, I ordered a nano and a classic on Thursday and should get them tomorrow.

I was going to get the touch but will wait for next up date of the touch to see if they increase the memory
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?
No that was Saturday and by 'today' I meant 'today, Monday', so I assume they were expecting another shipment this week.

The 'gotta have one now' effect definately played a part, but all things being equal I'm glad I got the classic.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iPod Nano: freezes on disconnect / LCD askew | Looks like Flash is in the near future »