Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    I got a new iPOD
    After agonising for about 2 ours in the SoHo Apple store in NY, I finally got a new iPOD. I chose the iPOD Classic.

    I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.

    I very nearly got the touch, but in the end battery life, capacity and sanity got the better of me and I got the 80gig black classic.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  2. #2

    Netty4mac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 17, 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,572
    Specs:
    Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
    Cool! Post pics if you can.

  3. #3

    mathogre's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location
    Oakton, VA USA
    Posts
    3,269
    Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    Congrats Zoolook! I'd be interessted in a review. I'm sure others would be also.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

    Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

  4. #4

    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away

    Congrats on your purchase!!

    June 2007
    July 2009

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    346
    Specs:
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    Well I'll put my 2¢ in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

    While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

    In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...

  6. #6

    Kilted1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,133
    Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.
    Of course we do ...I'd love to read what you think

  7. #7

    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by djames42 View Post
    Well I'll put my 2 in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

    While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

    In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...
    That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time.

    June 2007
    July 2009

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    346
    Specs:
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time.
    That was my thought as well when I noticed that I'm currently using v1.0 of the firmware. My hope was that they rushed these out to meet last week's deadline, and that 1.1 will be out in the next few weeks. Thanks for confirming my hope

  9. #9

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,900
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.
    .
    For SURE post the review. Will be very interesting to a lot of users here.

  10. #10

    knightlie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 22, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,463
    Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    I'm looking at getting an 80Gb classic, so I'd be interested in a review too.
    [URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

  11. #11

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away

    Congrats on your purchase!!
    I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  12. #12

    Dimitri's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2007
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    634
    Specs:
    Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.
    Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?
    Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
    Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
    Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)

  13. #13

    opus_az's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2006
    Posts
    275
    Gizmodo is saying the iPod Touch has crippled the calendar app, saying you can't add an event.
    iMac, MB, MB Air, nano

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2007
    Posts
    26
    I'm interested in a review, I ordered a nano and a classic on Thursday and should get them tomorrow.

    I was going to get the touch but will wait for next up date of the touch to see if they increase the memory

  15. #15

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?
    No that was Saturday and by 'today' I meant 'today, Monday', so I assume they were expecting another shipment this week.

    The 'gotta have one now' effect definately played a part, but all things being equal I'm glad I got the classic.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •