New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - iPod Touch... the New Newton! Only this time its Gonna be GREAT!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Apple struggled with PDA Like devices when they released the Newton years ago, why? because it was a head of it's time, not because of bad software or anything. Now, today Steve Jobs introduced the iPod Touch, basically the iPhone without the phone part. in esence a Palm Pilot a.k.a PDA with MP3 and video capabilities.... It includes Safari internet browser and completely wi-fi, this is astonishingly awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things... what do you guys think?

see photos at http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09...rage/index.php
QUOTE Thanks
tacsniper

tacsniper is an unknown at this point

I just want to know how strong is the wifi... and if I encounter a locked/secure signal, will I still be able to use it...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If it's locked and you don't have the password, obviously you won't be able to use it. That's just a stupid question

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Sweet. I was expecting a price cut on the iPhone too, but that's a pretty big one. Can't wait to see all the new products in person.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

I'd been debating whether or not my next computer should be a desktop or a portable. But I figured the only things I need a portable for are web browsing and watching and listening to movies and music. So it didn't make sense for me to buy an expensive laptop that has less power than a desktop.

I nearly jumped at the iPhone, but didn't want to pay an extra $200 to get out of my current cell phone plan.

Now you've got essentially an iPhone, without the phone and camera. Which is fine because I've already got a phone with a camera.

So my next computer will be a desktop and my next iPod will be an iPod Touch.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

Meh.... I would totally buy it if there was more space on it. My current ipod already has over 20gb of songs on it. The iPod touch is cool.... but I just wish it could hold more.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBookPro View Post
Meh.... I would totally buy it if there was more space on it. My current ipod already has over 20gb of songs on it. The iPod touch is cool.... but I just wish it could hold more.
I agree. If this thing came in an 80Gb model, I'd be there. 8 & 16Gb? Come on!

QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

Right now I've got a 1gb 1st generation Nano. And it holds all the music i need to carry with me. So going to 8 or 16 gigs is a big improvement. However, I don't blame folks who're already carrying around 60 gigs worth of music to say no thanks.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I'm carrying around 60gb of music but still want a touch. It's nice having all the music there but typically I never listen to more than a few gigs of music over a month interval anyway.

I've been waiting for the iPod to offer true PDA capabilities, too.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I agree. If this thing came in an 80Gb model, I'd be there. 8 & 16Gb? Come on!
Agreed... I was hoping for at least 60GB on the iPod touch...

A bigger concern of mine is that I don't see a "Mail" icon ( am I missing Something here???) Why no "Stocks" or "Weather" or "Maps" or "Notes"????

And will it "Sync" over the web??? Will it remotely control my iTunes if on the same network???
QUOTE Thanks
JonEthan

JonEthan is on a distinguished road

I'm with dimitri, although I have about 1/10th the music he has, so I'd be able to keep my entire library with me. I wanted A. video capabilities and B. reliability. The touch has both (by reliability I'm talking about flash-based. I've had half my previous iPods die from HDD failure) plus a lot of extras. My choices would be a new nano or a touch, since they now meet both my criteria. As it stands, the touch has those PDA abilities that seal the deal, while the nano looks like a diet is in order.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
A bigger concern of mine is that I don't see a "Mail" icon ( am I missing Something here???) Why no "Stocks" or "Weather" or "Maps" or "Notes"????

And will it "Sync" over the web??? Will it remotely control my iTunes if on the same network???
I doubt it would sync over wifi if the iphone doesn't. And by sync I'm talking about music, videos, photos, contacts, calendar, etc. from iTunes.

As for email and those other "widgets", I would bet those will be available later on.

QUOTE Thanks
nl74

nl74 is on a distinguished road

I am so disappointed. This is everything I was hoping for except that it does not have enough capacity to replace my 80gb pod.

I don't have 60gigs of music or anything but for me one of the benefits of my current pod is that I can fit everything on it, all my music and pretty much as many films or TV shows as I would ever want. If I bought the touch I'd have to trim my music down to just my favourite tracks from each album, maybe reduce the bit rate and even then that would leave under 10gb for video which is not going to be enough for me.

This is a real shame and I think Apple have lost the plot here and left an opening for Sony or MS to exploit. Mind you Sony seem obsessed with flash memory too so they probably won't. I'm guessing this has more to do with battery life than the reliability of flash over hard drives.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl74 View Post
This is a real shame and I think Apple have lost the plot here and left an opening for Sony or MS to exploit. Mind you Sony seem obsessed with flash memory too so they probably won't. I'm guessing this has more to do with battery life than the reliability of flash over hard drives.
Flash based players have not yet reached a capacity to satisfy the desires of people like you. Stick with HDD players if you want your entire library on the device.

And don't count on Sony idiots to exploit anything. MS, maybe.

But why is it the battery life on the HDD iPods is considerably more than the flash iPods? Smaller size, smaller batteries. It really has more to do with size and reliability than battery life.

QUOTE Thanks
nl74

nl74 is on a distinguished road

I know I misread the battery specs I missed the paltry 5hours and only saw the higher music based figure.

I still can't get away from the thinking that - Ipod classic with emphasis on music 160gb .....ipod touch with emphasis on video 16gb... What were they thinking?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet sed diam nonummy | iPod Touch; my wallpaper »