New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Is the Ipod for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ttaleric

Hey guys, i new to the forums and I am deciding between an Ipod (15gig) Or the Dell DJ. I will be using the mobile device just to hold music, im not going to be playing games on it. I will hook it up to my Alpine headunit in my car. I am just looking basically for the better unit. I dont want you guys to be bias on your oppions. Let me know what the deal is. I know the Ipod is about 75$ more expensive but is it worth it? Because if it is, then im there. Let me know. And when i say "better" i mean, Software, hardware, reliability, userfriendly. And when i am on the long haul with my car, will i have to keep looking at the LCD, or will i be able to navagate the mobile device with out looking at it. (or bearly looking at it).
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

with my unbias opinion i would say that the iPod is the way to go. I looked at them both also. The iPod is more user friendly with its interface. Also, it is thinner, lighter and is compatible with Mac and PC so just in case you become a switcher. I have had no issues with my iPod in terms of relibility so far. Its works wonderfully. I love it and it goes with me everywhere. Also, the look of the iPod just surpasses the DJ.
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Thanks for the reply. I am still stuck between the two. I like the thumb scroll with the DJ. But i like the looks and the software with the Ipod! Help!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cakman2

Get the iPod, you wont be dissapointed. You get the other thing and eventually you will regret not having bought the iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

I really, really suggest going to the computer store and getting firsthand experience on both of them, that scrollwheel thing that DJ has is pathetic compared to the round touch wheel of the iPod, the iPod will probably last a lot longer, resale value is a lot higher on it (just in case you want to sale and upgrade to a larger one) and just looks much, much better.

This is my unbiased opinion and opinions from a couple of my friends, they hate apple computers but love iPods. There's very, very good reason it's rated the best in about 99% of computer magazines.

But again, go to the computer and play with them. But like cakman2 said and I beleive as well, if you get the DJ, you'll probably regret it later (seriously) iPods are looked at by other people as hot items, the DJ looks like cheap plastic.. and will soon feel like that to you.

Also, with the BMW, it lets you control songs, volume, etc... with the steering wheel/CD-Deck, so maybe it lets you do the same with your thing, I really have no clue though.
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

It has been done!!!! Today I put out the cash. I have bought a 20gig ipod straight from the Mac store.. I get a discount for haivng a family member that works for cisco! so my total is 392.69! I cannot wait!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKaD
I really, really suggest going to the computer store and getting firsthand experience on both of them, that scrollwheel thing that DJ has is pathetic compared to the round touch wheel of the iPod, the iPod will probably last a lot longer, resale value is a lot higher on it (just in case you want to sale and upgrade to a larger one) and just looks much, much better.

This is my unbiased opinion and opinions from a couple of my friends, they hate apple computers but love iPods. There's very, very good reason it's rated the best in about 99% of computer magazines.

But again, go to the computer and play with them. But like cakman2 said and I beleive as well, if you get the DJ, you'll probably regret it later (seriously) iPods are looked at by other people as hot items, the DJ looks like cheap plastic.. and will soon feel like that to you.

Also, with the BMW, it lets you control songs, volume, etc... with the steering wheel/CD-Deck, so maybe it lets you do the same with your thing, I really have no clue though.
No, i have a Mercedes Benz. But i do have a Alpine 9813 which has an AUX in. and im just going to take the Y-in or whatever conectors and connect my Ipod. And do it the same way that BMW has and put the ipod in the same place just to old it. One question. Does the ipod have Heat issues? Does it shut off as soon as it gets too hot?
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaleric
Does the ipod have Heat issues? Does it shut off as soon as it gets too hot?
No.

& Congratz

QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKaD
No.

& Congratz

How long does it usually take to get your ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Also.. What Hacks have you done to your ipod? Anything you suggest that i do?
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Good lord. please Ipod come faster! sorry for all the ranting.. Im very excited about this. I also dropped 400 or close to 400$ on this. Im just a lazy college student!!!
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

Quote:
How long does it usually take to get your ipod?
Well, usually 2-3 months.

Okay, maybe not. I would think around 2-8 business days?

QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

It has been shipped... Good lord. i cannot wait to get this... HURRY FedEX!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ttaleric

Well its here, the 20gig.. My ONLY problem.. I have no firewire port. so i hvae to dish out another 19.99 to buy the USB/Firewire cable..
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

Quote:
Well its here, the 20gig.. My ONLY problem.. I have no firewire port. so i hvae to dish out another 19.99 to buy the USB/Firewire cable..
lol, bummer. But that really isn't a "problem". I hope you enjoy mang, it's a good purchase and you won't regret it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring data from Mac to PC via ipod? | Transfering Files using iPod... »