New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

sharing itunes purchased songs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

menace3054

I purchased a lot of itunes songs, almost 100 dollars worth. the problem i only realized now, is that they are so anal about protecting them. I purchased them on my laptop, but i would also like to transfer them to my desktop or my other laptop, but it only lets me broadcast them. anyway i can share them with my other computers without having to burn a cd, and then rip it, and then go through the hassle of re-naming it? i spent a lot of money on these songs, and i dont think its worth it if you have to keep it on one machine only.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Firewire target disk mode!

Shut down the Mac with the stuff you want to copy to the new mac. Plug a Firewire cable into both Macs. Start the Mac up, hold down the T key. When the Firewire logo appears, you will see a hard drive on the desktop of your other computer. Just copy the songs over.
QUOTE Thanks
cakman2

I thought you could burn up ten copies of them.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

It's seven.

And he said he doesn't want to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

thanks dude, now i just have to buy a fire-wire cable
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

If you have an ethernet cable you can network them.
If you have an iPod, you can use disk mode.
QUOTE Thanks
werby

Yeah, I guess the real question is, how were you planning to transfer them in the first place? Like various people have already said, plug a cable between the two macs or use an ipod. Are you referring to the fact that you have to "authorize" each computer you want to play them on?

I've successfully moved purchased tracks from computer to computer no problem, using my ipod and using FTP.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also, I understand you can share with an iPod up to 5 computers
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i have an ipod, i was referring to just network sharing. i wanted to just make it available on the network so i can copy and paste them into my other computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my iPod problem... | HUGE case sale @ Lajo.biz + $5.00 off your purchase!!! »