New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Make it more random?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TangoCharlie

TangoCharlie is on a distinguished road

I' ve heard all the arguments about the science of randomness. But it still doesnt fit with me.

I took a load of songs away on holiday, six people picked two albums each. I put them all in a playlist and pressed play over the week. Only 310 of the 600 songs were heard, 120 of the tracks were played more than once! 30 songs were played three times!
My friends were not impressed, obviously wanting to hear tracks from their album choices. One album never had one track played at all.
How can i make the iPod more random? I feel the 'random slider' does diddley squat! Has anyone noticed a difference with that?

I also make smart playlist from smart playlists and iTunes grabs several songs from one particular album but ignores other whole albums.

Is there any way one can make it more random by using 'Party Shuffle' as a filter? I assume the fact that it is a 'shuffle' means at least the songs wont be repeated.

Anyone any good ideas or smart playlists to make iTunes/iPod more randon?

Many thanks,
Tc
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well on my video ipod you can sselect a thing called shuffle songs. And that'll play all of ther songs on your ipod in a random order. Each song pnly played once. And if you only have on your ipod the songs you want to hear. That should fix that problem.
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

Thanks. Its a shame you cant apply that 'shuffle' to individual playlists!

I was on holiday, I had one playlist for the gang (36 albums), one playlist of Spanish Music, one of my favourites and one of nightime ballads! To have them all shuffled would have been wrong!

We would play the Spanish music at breakfast, and when we partied it would be the favourite albums I added (as mentioned).

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Thanks. Its a shame you cant apply that 'shuffle' to individual playlists!

I was on holiday, I had one playlist for the gang (36 albums), one playlist of Spanish Music, one of my favourites and one of nightime ballads! To have them all shuffled would have been wrong!

We would play the Spanish music at breakfast, and when we partied it would be the favourite albums I added (as mentioned).

Tc
Dont quote me one this 100%, but I thought if you shuffled the playlist in iTunes and put it onto your iPod then it would stay in the shuffled order as it was in iTunes. The only problem with this would be that if you listened to the playlist more than once, it would play in the same order as the first time, which may or may not be a problem...
QUOTE Thanks
TangoCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
Dont quote me one this 100%, but I thought if you shuffled the playlist in iTunes and put it onto your iPod then it would stay in the shuffled order as it was in iTunes. The only problem with this would be that if you listened to the playlist more than once, it would play in the same order as the first time, which may or may not be a problem...
Thats a good idea..you would, i guess randomize the playlist via party shuffle and copy that over?

Tc
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Thats a good idea..you would, i guess randomize the playlist via party shuffle and copy that over?

Tc
not even party shuffle, just use the shuffle songs button at the bottom left... like I have done in the attached photo

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Album Artwork | Numbers now at the bottom? »