New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Does quicktime alternative work with iTunes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vesh

vesh is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just wanna know if I uninstall quicktime and download and install quicktime alternative - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm will this quicktime alternative work with the iTunes still? Sorry I'm not exactly sure what quicktime has to do with iTunes anyway I have no idea lol but it's a big file almost 3 times size of alternative so yeah. Oh yeha and I got windows vista OS on one comp and XP on the other.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

iTunes relies on Quicktime to do all of it's heavy lifting as far as Codecs go for both audio and Video. There is chance that it might work, or not. Give it a try and find out, you can always re-download and install Quicktime.

QUOTE Thanks
vesh

Hmmm ok. Anyone here at all use alternative instead of quicktime?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only used Quicktime alternative and Real alternative for last 2 years or so on my XP machines.
Had no issues with either of them. I did not however use iTunes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Now that I think about it, you have to have QT installed for iTunes to even open. Not sure how you would make it think that the "alternative" was actually QT.

QUOTE Thanks
vesh

Hmmm guess the alternative probably wouldn't work then if that's the case
QUOTE Thanks
Supergob

Supergob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmm guess the alternative probably wouldn't work then if that's the case
vesh I originally logged on to get some info on Emacs, never having even switched one on before. Problem is a lost operating system, reinstalled but still will not run. Came across your question, I am an old man getting older by the minute and both son & daughter own an Ipod. Run Windows XP Pro and have installed Itunes for their use. They usually dowload moviesand I have the job of converting them. I use Win ACI Video converter which keeps asking for Quicktime alternative, even though the latest Quicktime is installed. So I downloaded. Win AVI started to either freeze or crash during conversion, so I installed QA, which resulted in Itunes asking me to reinstall, then came the fun and games, it would not recognise Itunes after new install and finally I had to delete it from the registry. I wrote to Itunes who said the codex were different and would cause problems, so I wrote to Win Avi who downloaded a patch which would convince Itunes that it was running the correct codex, except it didn't. I take out Itunes I have no bother with converting, put it back in and it freezes. So I know I am running a PC, but that's my story and PS, I have got the Emac up and running, it was a hard drive problem and what would have took me about 30 minutes top to replace, it took the best part of a week to dismantle the Emac ad twice as long to put it back together. I have mates who swear my MACs against PC's, me, well I think Mac is as archaic as the steam radio and wouldnt give it house room.
QUOTE Thanks
Widder

Widder is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: no Mac as of yet

I wanted to get an iPhone, but my PC (XP) wouldn't run QuickTime and thus also wouldn't run iTunes.
I tried Quicktime Alternative (2.8) and it works great!!!!!!!!
  1. Download iTunes, which also downloads Quicktime, and let the computer install both of them.
  2. Uninstall Quicktime.
  3. Install QuickTime Alternative, and, at least for me iTunes works, and I can also play Quicktime media!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« no wi-fi | USB Cord: How to remove stains from cord. »