New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes keeps importing each song twice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thomas0302

Thomas0302 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD

The past two times I've tried to import my music into iTunes, it imports each song twice. So I have to go through all my music and delete all the extra songs that loaded, one by one (a very long task).

Well I'm about to get a new macbook (I use windows right now on my current laptop) and am going to have to import all my music on that computers iTunes.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know a way to prevent this?

If it helps, this is how I load my music on itunes:
I have an external hard drive that contains all my music. All my music is contained in one folder that contains 4 folders. One folder is music I've downloaded, one is music I've put on from CD's, the third folder is titled "Itunesloaded" and the fourth is titled "iTunes."
The folders titled "iTunesloaded" and "iTunes" were not created by me but were made by my PC so I put it on the external hardrive in case it's important even though I'm not sure what it really is.
So when I want to load my music on Itunes I just import all the music from the big folder that contains the 4 smaller folders.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Uncheck "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library." ITunes, Preferences, Advanced.
See Pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (34.2 KB, 53 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

Also if you're dragging and dropping music from elsewhere make sure you aren't dragging any playlist with the files, that will add the songs twice also.
QUOTE Thanks
Thomas0302

Thomas0302 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try
QUOTE Thanks
alfedge

alfedge is on a distinguished road

i've had the same problem....has really got on my t!ts cos i've copied 50gb of music over by USB and have about 10gb of duplicates! and I can't delete more than 8 tracks at a time (more than 8 just offers the option of removing from itunes lib and not the hard drive)
the playlist file may just be the reason as to why this has happened! will be more careful in the future. thanks

i find it easy to keep the copy to itunes library activated, when i have new music to add, i just drag it from finder into itunes and it does all the work for me! (can't believe I was so dedicated to WMP for so long - I am foolish!)
QUOTE Thanks
issuehede

issuehede is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: issuehede

Hello
I have long searched for a good forum
I will stay here for long
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nano 2G stuck on lock icon | PLEASE HELP Ipod Touch Screen Non responsive »