New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Trouble with IPOD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dharmalakiran

Hi,
I got a 40 GB IPOD. Last week it slipped out of my hands. The case has a small scratch at a corner. But IPOD wont boot. When I turn it on it just reboots in an endless cycle. Is there anyway that I could solve this without sending it to repair center. Thanks in advance.

Kiran.
QUOTE Thanks
captainstabbin

captainstabbin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano

if you hook it up to the dock, does it do the samething?
QUOTE Thanks
dharmalakiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstabbin
if you hook it up to the dock, does it do the samething?
Yes it does. It shows a folder with an exclamation mark and then goes back to the apple logo when rebooting.

Kiran.
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

I hate to say it man but either your HD is fried or you will have to completely RESOTRE the HD. Meaning that anything and everything on your iPod will be erased off the face of the earth. If you want to do that just find your Restore Software on your mac and hit restore.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

try flipping the hold switch on and off, then quickly holding down both the menu and play buttons at the same time, until you see a reboot. This could fix the problem, or it could just be another thing to try that won't work. The times I've gotten the folder with the spinning question mark thing (I've gotten it twice while pluggin into powermac g4s at school), I did that, and it booted up fine, and worked again.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

uhoh, maybe the hard drive is jarred from the drop in which case you might have to get it exchanged (just don't mention the whole dropping business..)

Or try a restore with the supplied software (also available at apple's website)
QUOTE Thanks
d4rr3n

Does it stay on the apple logo and continually make a noise like the hard drive is running? Have you tried leaving it in that state until the power completely drains from it. I had a problem with my 40 gb ipod about 2 months ago similar to this. I turned it on and it stayed stuck on the apple logo and just kept running the hard drive and nothing i could do would get it to respond. I just let it run the power out and recharged it and thankfully it has worked fine ever since. It really scared the crap out of me. :eek:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When Are the new iPods coming out? | Trouble with PocketMac pda emulation software »