New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

SuperDrive Failing or iTunes Failing?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steven11

steven11 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

I'm having different errors occurring when I try to burn a disc with iTunes. One error says "Burn error: 0x8002006D The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media." What the blank does that mean? The other error is something moderate fail...Blah, blah. These errors are popping up in windows in the center of the screen w/ the little red sign. The other error message I'm getting is in the activity area top center where song and time elapsed info goes, and it reads ""disc burner or software not found" I've thrown my hands up in the air and don't understand. I just got this laptop back from A.C. they replaced the logic board they say but this isn't acting too logical. Any suggestions? I've tried burning a disc with another program, Disco and it worked for one disc but failed on the other. WTF!! I'm using Sony CD-R's They've worked before so I'm confused.
Beside the point, why does iTunes rip some CD's and then just options not to burn others. This has frustrated me to no end. I'll be almost finished ripping a 12 disc audiobook then it'll crap out on the 11th disc and just not rip it!! Is it some kinda sick joke. I find it hard to believe its a digital protection because when I used to still have one of those other computers in my house I'd throw it in the drive and it'd zip through it.
Back to the burning well I just made my 6th coaster of the day with my burner. Disco just informed me that I've successfully made another coaster out of this last attempt. Somebody please Help!!
I apologize for the frustrations but I'm throwing CD's away and I can't make copies of tunes that I'VE PAYED FOR!! and I'm kinda buggin and at the end of my chain!! THANKS in advance you all rock!!

I'm using iTunes 7.3.1(3)

No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
-Edmund Burke-
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

sounds like its more of a superdrive issue, than a software issue.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

(Cracking Knuckles and picking up phone) I didn't have the problem til recently. I mean the thing has always been a bit choosy when picking CD's it will or will not rip but never had any problems with burning.
Do you have any CD's that won't rip and do you know why? I'm not talking about the ones that you've used as a Frisbee or one's that look as though they've been used to sharpen sand paper but regular good quality CD's.

No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
-Edmund Burke-
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I've burned the occasional coaster, but other than that, never had any problems.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

Well I'm officially ticked. Toast just took a crap and died in the middle of a project. I guess I know what the problem is now. Friggin SuperDrive. I literally haven't had this thing back for a week. Do you all think there's anyway I can upgrade this thing to a newer MacBook. I'm salty, I haven't had it a year and its been in the shop 3 times already. Is it a lemon? Do you think they'll just keep repairing/replacing everything that craps out. I hope my airport card goes out next so I can get a n card!!!!!

-Edmund Burke-
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewD888

AndrewD888 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. The drive plays DVD's and data CD's so I guess the actual burner must have died. I think the best solution is to buy an external burner. Cost probably would be as much as a repair of your original drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I agree with Andrew. If you can't get a warranty repair, then an external burner is the answer. I bought one when my Superdrive died (though that took 4 years).

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod tracks playback jumping!!! | DESPERATE: Wont download video »