New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Headphone Jack Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hkbloke

hkbloke is on a distinguished road

I have seen a few comments posted about the incompatible headphone jack on the iPhone. Can i just confirm if the issue is :

i) The recess on the top which prevents other headphones fitting as the 'collar' is too big to fit into the recess.
ii) The 3rd groove etched into the jack itself (which i thought was related to the mic)

If it's i) then surely it's possible to just get your penknife out and cut away the 'collar' so it fits into the recess ?

Has anyone tried this before I take the knife to my E500 PTH's...
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Yeah hack it up. Only problem is that most headphones have that bit of plastic to make it easier to grab.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
hkbloke

hkbloke is on a distinguished road

Shure's seem to have a bit extra so that shouldn't be a problem.

Either way better than those god awful 'hacks' from Belkin & Griffin
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Anyone using 3rd party headphones notice any "clicking" noises during playback? A CNET editor said he/she could hear 3 clicks intermittently in music during playback, but didn't hear it with the iPhone headphones. It supposedly has something to do with the mic capability. Kind of kills any idea of using better headphones for better playback.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

I think that Apple should address this. Make a design change.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
I think that Apple should address this. Make a design change.
Apple addressed this question over at MacWorld:

Quote:
“The jack is recessed in order to maintain the integrity of that design,”
So basically they didn't want to screw up the design by adding a headphone jack that would actually fit most headphones. Jason Snell goes on to say "that if they had wanted the jack to not be recessed, the phone would have had to be thicker at that point, and they weren’t willing to compromise the shape — specifically the thinness — of the design." Aka, oops - first-gen design problem. Or perhaps a clever marketing ploy designed to quickly gain $10 and $20 headset adapter purchases from customers?

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I purchased the Belkin version because I needed one right away so I could start listening to music again in my car. (it was the only one stocked at the Apple store) I haven't had any problems with it. The sound is pretty clear. i will switch to something less visually annoying when I get more money though.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
refugioco

refugioco is on a distinguished road

I bought the Belkin adapter. It took a beautiful machine and turned it into a 1985 cell phone. I need an iphone wrap around the ear headphone
QUOTE Thanks
swagfndr

swagfndr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2gig Ram 160gig HD---80gig ipod (full)---8gig iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbloke View Post
I have seen a few comments posted about the incompatible headphone jack on the iPhone. Can i just confirm if the issue is :

i) The recess on the top which prevents other headphones fitting as the 'collar' is too big to fit into the recess.
ii) The 3rd groove etched into the jack itself (which i thought was related to the mic)

If it's i) then surely it's possible to just get your penknife out and cut away the 'collar' so it fits into the recess ?

Has anyone tried this before I take the knife to my E500 PTH's...
funny you should ask that, I just trimmed mine today and they work just fine.

Go for it!!!

Don't Be "That" Guy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTuner Library Unarranged? | Is anyone having 2nd thoughts? »