New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Weird Russian Music Sites

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I frequent wikipedia to the point where I think I'm addicted and stumbled upon this

How are places like that even in busisness?
QUOTE Thanks
softtack

softtack is on a distinguished road

AllOfMP3 was shut down a while ago due to copyright concerns. It was a great site while it lasted. I used to be able to get a song for about 5-10 cents, versus $0.99 like the iTunes store.

QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

At best the music is illegally copied. At its worst, a Nellie mpeg is really a virus that will eat your Windows drive.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

sites like that are, in general, hosted in russia where copyright law doesnt really exist. basically they illegally obtain the songs probably for free and sell millions of copies for a few cents a piece and make tons of money doing it.

i personally would fear for my identity if i had to give my CC info to a place like that
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

AllofMp3.com existed because of a loophole in Russian Law. The loophole allowed the Russian version of the RIAA (called the ROM IIRC) to collect whatever fees it wanted for artists, even without the artists consent or knowledge, so technically it WAS legal in Russia. This technically only applied to Russian citizens, but the Internet doesn't follow national boundaries, so it was a free for all. The law was only recently changed since the Russians want to gain entrance into the World Trade Organization (WTO). They were pressured into changing their law and closing the loophole by the US and EU and their lobbying groups backed by, you guessed it, the RIAA. The real blow was dealt to them when first VISA and then MASTERCARD stopped doing business with them, again pressured by the RIAA.

Oddly, there is still a loophole there and another site has popped up and taken AllOfMp3.com's music/servers over and moved them, supposedly, to Moscow where it is still legal.

Never underestimate the power of the RIAA and their cronies to subvert or downright change the laws of any country to suit them.

For those thinking the music was crap or a virus, it was neither. You could get a choice of bit-rates (96k to 320k and in some cases lossless) for a sliding price scale and the quality was overall quite good. No Viruses, no Spyware, or anything of the kind. I had let my account laps some years ago so it has been a while since I was there.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does Front Row allow visualizations? | What's you EDGE speed thread (thanks fleurya) »