New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Any Robberies yet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BeanieRobert

BeanieRobert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

Just wondering. I know that when the iPod first came out A LOT of people were robbed for them. It seemed like everyday on the news they would have a story about someone getting mugged for their ipod. Has anyone heard of anyone being mugged for their iPhone yet?

I'm A Mac. And I Work Better Then A PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

There is a video on break.com of a reporter outside an apple store where everyone is waiting and she was interviewing a guy who was one of 4 to receive an iphone before the release date. Well some guy walks behind them and grabs the reporters microphone and missed the iphone haha! They had some security tackle the guy, it was pretty entertaining!

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
BeanieRobert

Yeah, i seen that video before. It was pretty funny.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Actually, that was really was going for the mic. They found out later. Plus I guess you can hear him say "give me that mic".

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieRobert View Post
Just wondering. I know that when the iPod first came out A LOT of people were robbed for them.
Do you have a reliable source for this?
QUOTE Thanks
BeanieRobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Do you have a reliable source for this?
Are you kidding? You don't remember how many people were robbed for their iPods? Maybe it was just a New York thing because i know it was on the news frequently. They even said that the white headphones were a give away so many people switched to black headphones.

QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

I remember hearing about that here in Denver. I just heard about it happening mainly in New York, people riding on the subway near the doors. People would be wearing the trademark white headphones and people getting off the trains would grab the Ipod just as they would walk out the door and have themselves an Ipod. People were using non Apple headphones while out in public after this was happening.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

I have thought the same thing and a feature to safe guard against people stealing theses phones is for AT&T to e-activate the phones with a lock to your number. meaning it can only be unlocked by your account.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I remember hearing about that here in Denver. I just heard about it happening mainly in New York, people riding on the subway near the doors. People would be wearing the trademark white headphones and people getting off the trains would grab the Ipod just as they would walk out the door and have themselves an Ipod. People were using non Apple headphones while out in public after this was happening.
Yea, it happened a bunch of times in Chicago. I was reading the newspaper about some guy that got punched right as the train doors were opening. The thief punched the victim and knocked the guy out for a few seconds and walked off with the victims PSP.
The only news on TV I ever hear is about hackers getting into the iPhone. No theft yet.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

I also heard about the iPod thefts. For a while the news was recommending that people buy black headphones so the iPod wouldn't be noticeable. That was a while ago though.
QUOTE Thanks
HardBench.com

HardBench.com is on a distinguished road

I heard that there were stick-up robberies in SE Florida at the AT&T Stores on launch Day!

http://www.hardbench.com
The Latest iPhone and Apple News and Reviews + other Computer News and Reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieRobert View Post
Are you kidding? You don't remember how many people were robbed for their iPods? Maybe it was just a New York thing because i know it was on the news frequently. They even said that the white headphones were a give away so many people switched to black headphones.
So, no, you don't have a reliable source. You could have just said so.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8309

Quote:
The Telegraph claims iPod Web sites have received "numerous reports" claiming users have been targeted by such criminals. Macworld has even received phone calls in recent days, including from the BBC and ITV asking if we are aware of any such incidents. We are not. In the end the BBC dropped its planned report as it could find no one to back-up the story.

The press delights in carrying stories of so-called Rolex robberies, where wearers of the expensive Swiss watches are targeted by criminal gangs.
QUOTE Thanks
BeanieRobert

You can do a google search for "iPod Robberies" and many news articles will come up. And as you can see from other posts, MANY of people remember these robberies too. Im not sure where you live but it seems in big cities there were a lot of ipods being stolen. I am not talking about currently, but 2 or 3 years ago this was happening.

QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

There were actually THOUSANDS of robberies the day the iPhone was released!!! There are still more and more everyday, the odd thing is that EVERY victim is being robbed of either $499 or $599... nothing in between, lower or higher.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
There were actually THOUSANDS of robberies the day the iPhone was released!!! There are still more and more everyday, the odd thing is that EVERY victim is being robbed of either $499 or $599... nothing in between, lower or higher.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

I enjoy having been robbed, every day apparently.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reformat IPOD | Do Changes in Album or Song Info in iTunes get embedded onto MP3 ID3? »