New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

What's you EDGE speed thread (thanks fleurya)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

As requested, here's a new thread to compare EDGE speeds.

Ok, so maybe I was exaggerating when I compared EDGE here in Arkansas to a 33.6k modem. I just ran this test from the phone and got a whopping 40.6 Kb/s so I take back everything I said about it being as slow as a 33.6k modem. It is definitely faster than a 33.6k modem, a whole 7k faster! Amazing! I still stand by my old 56K being faster though! What speed is everyone else getting?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...tml?tag=feat.2

edited to add Wifi number:

1037.9 kbps via Wifi Apple Airport Extreme connected to Suddenlink/Cox cable modem
QUOTE Thanks
lwatt

lwatt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPhone

846.5 kbps over wifi
129.5 kbps over EDGE
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'm averaging 400+ kbit/s on my Palm on Verizon's Network. I'm interested to see how AT&T compares.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

EDGE: 138 kbit/s
WiFi: Hard to test, can't find a non-Flash/non-Java based test and the mobile test at dslreports.com complains about my connection being too fast
3G: Last I checked my AT&T 3G speeds, I was averaging somewhere between 800-900 kbit/s

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

ATT in Arkansas is not setting this whole EDGE experience up to help their sales. I was about so frustrated this morning at the post office trying to get a stiinking address off ebay.com for my old cell phone I sold that I about wanted to scream. Finally gave up and drove all the way back home to get it. It would literally load one line of text at a time and wait about 20 seconds for each and every line of text. This lady in line with me said, "Oh is that the new iPhone? How do you like it?" I showed her the blazing internet on it and after she watched it loading line by line after about 3 minutes she said "Hmm. Well isn't that something." in one of those tones that lets you know that she won't be signing up anytime soon. I'd guess it was averaging somewhere less than 1Kbps - probably in the bps range instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostchant

Ghostchant is on a distinguished road

EDGE:172 kbs

I was worried about their decision on edge over 3G, but its really not that bad. Everyone is complaining about it, but it is suprisingly snappy. As long as you dont go to any media heavy sites you should be fine, depending on the service in your area.

Now i just hope apple dowsnt alienate all of us early adopters and releases an 3G model
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Wow rlctrh, that's pretty bad. My mother used to have mother used to have Verizon and her the sparsely-populated part of Indiana she lives in, the connection was terrible and calls would constantly drop. I had heard of people who made agreements to rent land they own to put of cell towers and told her she should try to contact Verizon to put one up on land she had. Instead she gave up and got Cingular (AT&T) which has great reception there.

Services can be very spotty in some areas depending on where towers are. Maybe you can do some investigating to find out how close you are to the nearest AT&T tower.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

Yea I don't really understand the problem. I always have full bars here and never drop a call at all. It's just the crappy EDGE response at times. Sometimes it is fast (generally late at night), other times (most of the time during the day and late evening) it creeps like molasses. I wonder if maybe they do not have switch capacity here in this area for the EDGE/Internet side of it and since so many people here bought the phone and so many have the treos and such this area is just overloaded on the internet side. They did finally put up the sold out sign at the main ATT store and nearly everyone around has the treo's too. Back in the day I remember an early local ISP I had with dialup and they offered some cheap signon deal and were swamped with new customers and overnight all us old customers experienced this same type internet response (not to mention busy signals) until they added more powerful hardware and probably more trunk lines behind the scene. Thats almost what this seems like - too many people sharing the internet in this area at one time. On the call side, I never have a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Services can be very spotty in some areas depending on where towers are. Maybe you can do some investigating to find out how close you are to the nearest AT&T tower.

Agreed. I can literally turn around from my computer desk, look out my front Window and see a Cell Tower that is maybe 1/4 mile from me. It obviously has no AT&T Antenna on it as my AT&T work phone has 1 bar yet my Verizon phone has 5. I drop calls on my AT&T phone all the time in my home, but rarely if ever on the Verizon phone.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I got 188 on the EDGE test

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
vlj9r

vlj9r is on a distinguished road

You can run a test at http://www.iphonenetworktest.com/
QUOTE Thanks
vlj9r

EDGE 111.6 kbps
Wi-Fi 1231.8 kbps
QUOTE Thanks
vlj9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
I got 188 on the EDGE test
Where are you located? I don't come close to that.

www.iphonenetworktest.com
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

It must be dependent on various network factors. Right now I am at 160.7 and everything is nice and speedy unlike this morning when it was almost nonexistent.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

using this new site above I just got a 205
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Russian Music Sites | Multiple cover art not working? »