New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

It's been unlocked!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juco

juco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook

Sort of..

http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/03/iphone-without-att/

Found from the Slashdot article: http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/07/04/1217248.shtml

This doesn't however give you any phone functionality, but never the less.. it's a Wifi/iPod

Has anyone done this yet? Let us know how it goes. I'm tempted to ebay one now, is surely only a matter of time now until someone totally unlocks it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Several people have done this. Its not "unlocked" its just a $500 multimedia device.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Several people have done this. Its not "unlocked" its just a $500 multimedia device.

That's exactly right. I see absolutely no point in doing this if someone is going to pay hundreds of dollars on a phone just to remove its calling features and use the iPod and internet device on their own service provider. It's a complete waste of money, but that's entirely subjective.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I don't know why people are so stoked about this! All you have to do it sign up with AT&T, activate, and cancel the next day. You don't lose any money, not even activation fee if you cancel within 3 days. And his comment about giving AT&T your personal info, and the notion they give it to the government, it's not like your information isn't out there to be had if you've ever had so much as a checking account or credit card before.

Thanks for passing on the info, but not too exciting to me

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jab119

jab119 is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of unlocked phones where you can use it on what ever network you can, if they come from the factory that way.

however I dont like when people unlock a phone, use it on another carrier then complain when it does not work properly or not at all. This also causes problems with the wireless network its self which you should be concerned with. an improperly unlocked phone can cause the radios in the cell towers to lock up and reduce the call capacity on that tower or other problems as well.

phones are locked to a specific carrier usually for a reason. They have specific programming in there for that company, then when you unlock it to use it onthe other guys network that original programming is still there and makes a mess of things. If the new network can not over ride the programming with their own either manually or over the air it can cause you billing issues
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juco View Post
I'm now getting an error message from this site.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
HardBench.com

HardBench.com is on a distinguished road

Ahh this is stupid. No sense in making it a $600 multimedia device....

http://www.hardbench.com
The Latest iPhone and Apple News and Reviews + other Computer News and Reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
lwatt

lwatt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPhone

yeah I am very worried about the government having my address and social security numbers.

No way they have access to that without the evil AT&T trolling for data.

If those crippies @ NSA want to listen in on my iPhone conversations they can have at it. They'll be bored to tears.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

In other news, I "unlocked" my car so I don't need to put fuel in it. I just left my keys on the side and walk everywhere.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best way to charge to maximize battery life | Finally some UK news »