New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Universal Music Group not renewing....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Copied headline from the Drudge Report:

"FLASH: APPLE FACES A REBELLION OVER ITUNES... Universal Music Group, the world's biggest music corporation, notified Apple that it will not renew its annual contract to sell music through iTunes..."
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Also note that they are going on a month to month vice a 2 year contract.

I find it interesting that EMI went with DRM free music, and Universal is balking. I think in the end that is going to hurt Universal. They are trying to stick with DRM or subscription and I think the average consumer realizes that. Now that EMI iTunes tracks can be played on any compatible device, Universal is taking a step backwards. They don't want to be locked into Apples system, that's fine, but with DRM free they're not. They simply want the consumer locked into their system, one where they say what you can do and can't do with the music you pay for.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If this turns out to be true, I think it'll hurt universal more than it will Apple at this point...
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Anyone else hear the term "Sustained Income" echoing from UMG offices?

Considering the iPhone has sold half a million units, that a bucket load of potential iTunes music purchases on the horizon, with a load more when it gets released everywhere else in the world.

It's not enough that these record companies make billions, there are always ways they can add a few more digits to that number. Just goes to prove that the music industry is just that, an industry.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

There is somethign odd going on at Universal... they were just about the only studio not to sign up to Blu-Ray, something else Apple is deeply involved with.

Does this affect any TV shows?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

. . . TV shows and movies?

I don't think it'll hurt Universal as much as Apple. If Universal parts with Apple, Apple loses any revenue they would have made from people buying music under them: a crippling third of their content. However, if people want music put out under Universal, they can just get it somewhere else. Sure Universal will lose some sales by not being a part of a major distribution channel like iTunes, but iTunes is just that, a distribution channel. Like buying a loaf of bread from any supermarket, there are plenty of other channels people can go through. Even Jobs said they've only sold 25 tracks per iPod, so people must be getting a lot of their content from other channels.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
. . . TV shows and movies?

I don't think it'll hurt Universal as much as Apple. If Universal parts with Apple, Apple loses any revenue they would have made from people buying music under them: a crippling third of their content. However, if people want music put out under Universal, they can just get it somewhere else. Sure Universal will lose some sales by not being a part of a major distribution channel like iTunes, but iTunes is just that, a distribution channel. Like buying a loaf of bread from any supermarket, there are plenty of other channels people can go through. Even Jobs said they've only sold 25 tracks per iPod, so people must be getting a lot of their content from other channels.
Actually I'd disagree:
Sure there are lots of other channels through which to purchase music, but the iTunes Store is the only channel through which to sell content that works with the iPod / iPhone.

Most people I know are more interested in the device than the content.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
so people must be getting a lot of their content from other channels.
Yes, but those "other channels" are not other on-line music stores, they are CDs and P2P...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes Music Store - Login Error | Grr pronounced Gurr... »