New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Best way to go from PC to Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

-Oy-

-Oy- is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I've just bought my daughter a 13" Macbook and a 30gb iPOD Video.

She currently has a Sony Laptop and an iPOD Mini.

What would be the best way to get her music off her old systems onto her new Macbook and iPOD?

Thanks

Home - Macbook Pro 15" : 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo : 2Gb RAM

Work - Mac Pro : 2.66 Ghz Quad core : 5Gb RAM : Twin 20" Cinema displays
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

pika2000 will become famous soon enough

Easiest way is to use iTunes' backup feature. Depending on how big her library is, you might want to buy some DVD blanks first. I was faced with the same situation: http://pika2000sblog.blogspot.com/20...mac-day-2.html
Couple catches:
1. Although you retain ratings and play count, you loose last played tags. Not really an issue if you don't use that tag in smart playlist at all.
2. The backup feature won't backup any playlists. However, you can export playlists quite easily.
3. After switching to the Mac, you might want to restore her iPods with iTunes on the Mac. Although Macs can read and transfer music fine on Windows formatted iPods, you can only update the firmware on Mac formatted iPods.
QUOTE Thanks
rootrageous

rootrageous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post
3. After switching to the Mac, you might want to restore her iPods with iTunes on the Mac. Although Macs can read and transfer music fine on Windows formatted iPods, you can only update the firmware on Mac formatted iPods.
Really? You are saying that using my iPod under windows, I cannot update the firmware?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You can update firmware only on the computer the iPod is formatted under. So if you format the iPod under Windows, you need to use a Windows PC to update it, and if you format it under OS X, then you need a Mac to update the iPod.

As for moving files, I would actually recommend Ethernet. The transfer speeds are very fast and you won't waste blank CDs or DVDs.

Migrate Your Files

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rootrageous

rootrageous is on a distinguished road

Thanks. That is what I was thinking.
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
As for moving files, I would actually recommend Ethernet. The transfer speeds are very fast and you won't waste blank CDs or DVDs.

Migrate Your Files
Question is, will this keep ratings and play counts? Of course, if those things don't matter, than you can simply re-import any music from the PC to the new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

To migrate ratings and play counts, you will need to move the two iTunes library files from the old computer to the iTunes directory on the new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrez View Post
To migrate ratings and play counts, you will need to move the two iTunes library files from the old computer to the iTunes directory on the new computer.
Simply copying those 2 files won't work. PC and Mac have different directory structure. The OP has to do some manual editting on those files. I'm not sure if the OP/daughter would want to do that, which is why I suggested the simpler backup route.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post
Simply copying those 2 files won't work. PC and Mac have different directory structure. The OP has to do some manual editting on those files. I'm not sure if the OP/daughter would want to do that, which is why I suggested the simpler backup route.
That's how I copied my library from my PC to my Mac, and it seemed to work just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
-Oy-

-Oy- is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'll just copy the MP3s from PC to MAC via my NAS and let iTunes index them anew on the Mac - then sync the new iPOD.

Home - Macbook Pro 15" : 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo : 2Gb RAM

Work - Mac Pro : 2.66 Ghz Quad core : 5Gb RAM : Twin 20" Cinema displays
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

That works. I backed mine to an external HD then transferred.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Netgear WNR834M | Storing iTunes Data on iPod Only?? »