New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

contracts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whambamslamglam

whambamslamglam is on a distinguished road

if you buy the iphone at the apple store, do they make you renew your contract to get the 499 and 599 prices? i thought about this today in class. cingular makes it seem you have to sign up for a new 2 year contract to get those prices.

any thoughts?

and yes, i said class. one of my masters classes takes place on saturday.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You don't sign up for your contract at the Apple store so you pay the 500/600 prices. But until you activate the 2 year contract the phone is a paperweight

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Something interesting I saw about the contracts. Apparently, if you don't pass AT&T's credit check for the contract, they'll let you go month-to-month on a prepay plan. Granted, prepay is more expensive than contract, but it's funny that they're allowing it. Another downside to pre-pay is paying full-sticker for a phone, but with the iPhone, there's no difference.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

i had been up for 12 hours when i went to purchase the iphone and had too much cafiene- so i asked a lot of questions, that i was still confused about after i left. Aparently my original contract that ended in april goes unchanged. so in theory i could buy a, samsung, or whatever for the upgrade 2-year renewal price. Iphone plans (even if it is just adding to an existing older plan) are somehow seperate. even though it is the same line on the same plan.

what!?

i have no idea but this is what the guy told me, more than once. so, yeah.
the price of the iphone is same regardless of annnnnything.
period.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
jab119

jab119 is on a distinguished road

there is NO reduced price for the iphone based on contract or not. This was part of agreement Apple forced AT&T into.

AT&T wanted to offer lower cost base on contract length, but Apple said no and set the price points where they are today.

So basically Apple is running the show on the iphone cost and rate plans, not AT&T.

see this thread I started.....

AT&T vs Verizon Wireless
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
You don't sign up for your contract at the Apple store so you pay the 500/600 prices. But until you activate the 2 year contract the phone is a paperweight
Does this mean you could not use the wi-fi portion of the phone if you don't get a contract?

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

that is correct. The phone is nothing without activating it by getting a plan

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab119 View Post
there is NO reduced price for the iphone based on contract or not. This was part of agreement Apple forced AT&T into.

AT&T wanted to offer lower cost base on contract length, but Apple said no and set the price points where they are today.

So basically Apple is running the show on the iphone cost and rate plans, not AT&T.

see this thread I started.....

AT&T vs Verizon Wireless
I don't think that's exactly true and here's why. Cell phone companies give away a lot of phones, but do you think the manufacturers like Motorola are giving them away? No. Cell phone providers don't really give you a free phone, they subsidize it through a portion of the profits made on your monthly contract fees.

In articles about the negotiations between Apple and Verizon one of the issues was that Apple wanted a piece of the monthly fee profits from Verizon: something no other manufacturer demands. If AT&T gave in to this demand, then it's likely that the portion of profits that would have gone to subsidizing your phone purchase have instead gone into Apple's pocket. That way, AT&T could meet Apple's demand and not lose any profit.

So it's a win/win/lose situation. Apple wins, AT&T wins, and the consumer loses. Let's just hope this doesn't set a dangerous precedent for other phone manufacturers to follow. Companies like Motorola have deep penetration in the the providers' business. If they decided to make a similar demand, most likely the providers who have to give in or face devastating consequences.

In the end, it is kind of Apple's fault for the lack of discount, but because of their demand for profits, not because they set the price directly. It's also AT&T's fault for giving in. Everyone who thought AT&T paid out to get Apple's product were half right. They are paying.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
that is correct. The phone is nothing without activating it by getting a plan
Not even the iTunes portion of the phone, or syncing contacts and the calendar?

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Nothing. It's a brick without activation. The good news is, once activated, you can use it without a SIM card minus calling and texting of course. But the WiFi and iPod functions will work. I don't know who would find that helpful, but some seem to like that ability.

QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Nothing. It's a brick without activation. The good news is, once activated, you can use it without a SIM card minus calling and texting of course. But the WiFi and iPod functions will work. I don't know who would find that helpful, but some seem to like that ability.
Thanks, I won't be buying one now.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod video with os x 10.2 issues | Small problem with included dock.. »