New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iTunes Library is HUGE!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mike.Bowden

Mike.Bowden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to scale down my iTunes library. I have a lot of files that are in wav format that I'd like to switch over to MP3 and I have a lot of higher bit rate MP3's that I'd like to be lowered so they save more space.

I know there is convert to MP3 in iTunes but that doesn't get rid of the original and I'm not sure what bit rate that would put my MP3's at. Any ideas?

Regards,
Mike Bowden
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Go to iTunes->Preferences->Advanced and you can select your own bitrate.

Then select the wav files you want to encode and right-click 'covert to mp3'.

It'll create an mp3 of the wav file and you can then go ahead and delete the original wav.

I wouldn't recommend re-encoding your mp3s to a lower bitrate, you'll lose a lot of detail in the audio and won't save that much room.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And personally, I would save all of those wav files somewhere. To an external, CD or something. Once you have converted them and delete those files, whatever quality was lost in moving to mp3 is gone and can not be regained.

Of course, if you never plan on listening to them through a good sound system, it probably will never be an issue for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Unless you happen to be one of those "few" who have perfect pitch, set your encoder to convert those monster .wav files to 128 mp3, you will never hear the difference and you will end up with 1 to 2 meg music files.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Seriously - 128kb Mp3? Most people can hear the difference...
160Kb and upwards is good enough for 95% of the people, but 128K is just not enough...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And having perfect pitch has nothing to do with it. Pefect pitch has to do with being able to identify the pitch of sounds or in being able to sing a particular note on command. The pitch is not changed by going from a wav to mp3. The note 'C' is still a 'C'. It has not changed in pitch.

What has changed is a reduction in all of the overtones produced with the notes being played which causes them not to sound as full or rich in tonal/sonic quality. Quality of your equipment and speakers will all play a role in what may be acceptable. The better your equipment is in accurately reproducing sound the more you will notice the difference with lower bit rates.

edit: very nice theme song there James, just made me a subscriber

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speakers blown or just small? | How to play video in Ipod Video? »