New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

FYI : iTunes 7.3 won't start up?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

If you're running ShapeShifter, you have to put iTunes into the exclude list. Then it will start right up as normal.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Good Info, thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
hotspur10925

hotspur10925 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.16GHz 120GB 8X Double Layer Superdrive

well since i dont know what shapeshifter is, i dont think i have it so is there anything else to do cuz i open itunes and it shows CPU usage at 100% and it freezes up.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Try finding and deleteing the file:

com.apple.itunes.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist

where the x's are random numbers, and try again

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

No problems here on my iMac with SS and iTunes 7.3
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Quote:
No problems here on my iMac with SS and iTunes 7.3
Not sure what to say but I read this info somewhere else and it definitely did the trick on my machine. I guess everyone's machine is quirky in it's own way. Heh.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yeah, I have a colleague who had this very problem, and when I pointed him toward Application Enhancer/ShapeShifter he fixed it with the exclude list.

I don't use ShapeShifter, but I use ClearDock which also requires Application Enhancer. I had problems with PPC apps not wanting to launch, but excluding them seems to have fixed it. Didn't have any problem with iTunes 7.3, so I guess that points more toward ShapeShifter than AE as such.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
If you're running ShapeShifter, you have to put iTunes into the exclude list. Then it will start right up as normal.
My iTunes wouldn't open either. I was sneaky and got iTunes to open via starting it in Front Row first. Of course, you don't want to do that all the time.

I added iTunes to the exclude list, started itunes, closed it, then took it off the exclude list, and now it opens just fine. So, you don't have to keep it on the exclude list, It's just some kind of glitch I guess.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

That's odd! Thanks for the follow up.

EDIT: Confirmed! I can now take it off the exclusion list and it works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
joebreezy

joebreezy is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much, Willem. I was trying everything yesterday to get my itunes working after the update and never thought about shapeshifter. I excluded itunes and am back up and running. Thx much!
QUOTE Thanks
dayal

dayal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update, strange how these things work

|| MACBOOK PRO 2.16GHZ ||
iNTEL CORE DUO 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD || WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

it has to do with the lisence agreement that comes up everytime you get a new version of itunes, it was causing a crash because of shapeshifter.

i didn't even have to exclude, i just returned desktop to default then brought it back

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
My iTunes wouldn't open either. I was sneaky and got iTunes to open via starting it in Front Row first. Of course, you don't want to do that all the time.

I added iTunes to the exclude list, started itunes, closed it, then took it off the exclude list, and now it opens just fine. So, you don't have to keep it on the exclude list, It's just some kind of glitch I guess.
Wow, how weird. I thought my laptop was broken haha. I even deleted and reinstalled.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
RJgamer

RJgamer is on a distinguished road

iTunes Tips And Tricks the answer is in here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Grr pronounced Gurr... | Itunes will not open »