New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

My 30GB iPod doesn't have new fast-scrolling feature: Why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWish

iWish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video

I have a 30GB iPod w/video running version 1.2.1. The other day I was at a function where someone's identical model of iPod was used for some background music. As I was scrolling quickly through it's long song library, I was surprised but pleased to see a gray box with a letter "R" appear in the center of the screen as I was scrolling through songs starting with that letter, and it switched quickly to S, T, and so on as I scrolled. I was glad to finally see a quick way to scroll through long lists by way of first letter! (I griped in a thread a year or so back about getting such a feature, which is why I was pleased!) I tried scrolling through the Artists and the same thing happened. I looked at the back of the iPod and the year of manufacture was 2005, so I knew I had the exact some iPod model at home.

When I tried scrolling quickly on my iPod, however, this feature didn't appear although iTunes says that 1.2.1 is the latest iPod software version for my iPod.

Is this a feature that requires another software version or some kind of third-party plug-in, or do I indeed have the "wrong" iPod for this feature?
QUOTE Thanks
iWish

iWish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video

Um, I'm kind of embarrassed by this (another instance where I've answered a question myself after taking more time to solve the issue), but I just tried fast scrolling again and the letter appeared. What I realized is that I was moving my finger over the scroll wheel too fast. When I moved it at a moderate speed - not too fast but not too slow - the letter soon appeared and I was able to quickly navigate my huge song library. My apologies for wasting any thread space!
QUOTE Thanks
London Luke

London Luke can only hope to improve

glad you answered you stupid question.............
saved me asking it !!
only just getting my "speed" right to access "fast scroll"..but its a great feature
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« email masking or "reply to" | Alternatives for music store »