New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

speed of edge?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

hey all, i was just wondering what the speed of the EDGE network was compared to 3G?

looking at the adds it seems the iPphone is going at super broadband speeds when downloading web pages and rendering them at speed. since it downloads full pages, not the reduced ones used on other networks, is that even realistic? i have Sprint and an unlimited plan on my Treo 700wx and rendering the web in a reduced form takes a bit, even with the faster speed of the Sprint network. (anywhere from 2-5X greater i think)

so how long could it take to download entire new web pages on the iPhone?

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Its faster than dialup but not blazing

I think I saw around 700-900kbps compared to upwards of 3mbps on 3g

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

In the ads they could be using the built in WiFi for faster loading.

AT&T is said to be updating the network for faster speeds as well...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/exclusive...dge-265867.php
QUOTE Thanks
speed4tu

speed4tu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb

I normally get around 150kbps on speed tests with Edge, and yes 3g is a LOT faster. I am still ****** they didn't put that on the Iphone.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I think speed4tu is more in the real realm of Edge speed. They advertize something closer to 1mbps, but when I did some initial looking into 3G when it came to Indy and compared, a lot of people I talked to said their Edge averaged around 100-200 kbps.

I don't know about you, but many websites I go to are much more data-intensive these days. Fiddling with a small screen is annoying enough without the waiting time to load. I would probably end up cursing the idea of the full browser and longing for the cut down mobile versions.

One addition in the works is for a Youtube web app. Waiting for a video to load, I don't think so.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I just now realized that the iPhone does not support 3G. I find this to be really disappointing considering how much I would have to pay for an unlimited data plan if I were to get an iPhone.

According to AT&T's website, EDGE is only good for around 75-135Kbps, thats barely better than dial-up.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It has been commented on that AT&T has just about the slowest network available here in the US, so that probably answers things for you. EDGE is certainly a lot better than using a standard GSM data connection, but way behind 3G. In fact EDGE has been dubbed rather unkindly, 2.75G.

EDGE has real world speeds of 70 - 135k, so more like high speed dial up/IDSN than broadband - people claiming 200kbps or better must either be very lucky, or benefitting from data compression somewhere. I'm mildly astonished Apple went for this type of data network, but then AT&T must have made an offer they couldn't refuse.

All of the internet demos on the iPhone will have used the wi-fi but the problem with WiFi is you have to choose wisely where to sign up. t-mobile at Starbucks for example.

The real question is, what will EDGE's pricing be on AT&T... my guess is it won't be cheap.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
The real question is, what will EDGE's pricing be on AT&T... my guess is it won't be cheap.
I was under the impression that it would be the same plan as their other "PDA" phones(anything with a touch screen or full keyboard), which runs $40/month for unlimited use.
QUOTE Thanks
activeseven

activeseven is on a distinguished road

I'm not convinced yet that the speed of Edge is even a factor for me. At any given point in the day I am at one of two places, either my office or at home. Both of which have wifi. Most of the places I go to for lunch have wifi as well, **** even the local McDonalds has free wifi now.

Come to think of it the only place I am at regularly that doesn't have wifi is in my car on the drive from and to work and I doubt I will be surfing the web while driving.

3g is nice, thats a given. But honestly, since the iPhone is gonna jump on every wifi it comes into contact with is it really an issue? Not to mention we would be paying a lot more for 3g and with the service plans associated and its not even available everywhere.

I think Apple's approach is just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

iirc AT&T was upgrading the network so that 80k would be the minimum speed on EDGE (about double of conventional dialup).

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeseven View Post
I'm not convinced yet that the speed of Edge is even a factor for me. At any given point in the day I am at one of two places, either my office or at home. Both of which have wifi. Most of the places I go to for lunch have wifi as well, **** even the local McDonalds has free wifi now.

Come to think of it the only place I am at regularly that doesn't have wifi is in my car on the drive from and to work and I doubt I will be surfing the web while driving.

3g is nice, thats a given. But honestly, since the iPhone is gonna jump on every wifi it comes into contact with is it really an issue? Not to mention we would be paying a lot more for 3g and with the service plans associated and its not even available everywhere.

I think Apple's approach is just fine.
That's fine, but then if you're always in the office or at home, do you even need a mobile phone?

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeseven View Post
since the iPhone is gonna jump on every wifi it comes into contact with is it really an issue?

Free WiFi isn't really that common in public places. While there are a few restaurants that offer it, if you are in places like airports or hotels, then you are more than likely going to have to pay for it and it isn't cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

EDGE is acceptable if you don't mind waiting for things to load. The full browser won't be that big of an issue on the iPhone because of the way it's designed (Opera Mini uses a similar model and it's not that bad using EDGE).

However, the 3G network is FAST. It was ridiculous how fast webpages opened on 3G compared to EDGE. I really think it was a big mistake not to include 3G, though I understand why it wasn't included. 3G still isn't as widespread as the EDGE network, so 3G wouldn't be a selling point overall, and thus it made sense to save the money in implementing it. Now if it isn't included in iPhone 2.0, that would be REALLY stupid because 3G will definitely be far more widespread in a couple of months

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Now if it isn't included in iPhone 2.0, that would be REALLY stupid because 3G will definitely be far more widespread in a couple of months
Months are not going to make any difference in terms of including or excluding such fundamental features. EDGE has been chosen plain and simply because it is what AT&T are pushing. When iPhone goes on sale in Europe and APAC, it'll likely have to support another format. 3G is virtually universal in Japan I believe.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Original Nerd

Original Nerd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
EDGE has been chosen plain and simply because it is what AT&T are pushing.
Don't be so sure on this one. This was not the direction AT&T was going in before iPhone.

It's true that a couple of months won't change the 3G footprint. It will take a lot longer than that. What is true is that AT&T was putting ALL of its resources into the 3G network until the iPhone came to light. I will leave it at that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Podcasts and playlists | Do you think we'll need to camp out »