New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Letting iTunes organize your music...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

I'm not sure why this never occured to me before, but I figured i'd pass it on to some other new users...

I back up all my music on an external drive, but I can't stand having a big mess of files. I like them in neatly arranged folders, by band and album, respectively. The only problem is, it takes FOREVER to go through, say, a 40GB music collection and organize it all in folders. Well, iTunes will do this for you.

-Click on iTunes to open up the application. While it's loading, hold down the option key on your keyboard.
-Create a new library (in my case, on my external drive). This will be completely separate from your normal library and won't affect it at all.
-Go to Preferences>>Advanced>>General
-Check the box that says "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library"

Now any files you drag into your newly made Library will be added to the new iTunes music folder created when you made a new Library. iTunes will organize it all by band, and by album.

-Drag all the music you want to organize into your library.
-It will take a while for large collections, but iTunes will organize everything for you. When it's done, just delete the source folder. You will have newly organized copies of all that stuff.
-Delete the iTunes library file in your new library. Next time you open up iTunes just point it back to your original library.

Hope that helps someone out.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

That works well only if you keep all of your music on one hard drive.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

baggss, what are u doin for back up of your vast collection?
Is that what you have all the drive space for, or are you using Mozy or something like it?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't "back-up" per-se, my Library is just to big. Having it all spread across 4 drives (and this is just the music, not the Video), the odds of my losing ail at once are pretty slim. I might drop a drive here or there, but with good recovery software you can retrieve most everything even from a bad drive.

All the space is simply for expansion. My video is eating up drive space left and right. I separated it from the Music so I would be able to continue to grow both without sacrificing space for one to the other.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes problem on new Mac Pro | Ipod Nano Or Buy Something Else Instead? »