New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Let's talk audio file formats.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

What do you guys have your music library in on your computer, your iPod? AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3?

I've been using AAC, as it's the default file format in iTunes and I wasn't even aware you could choose until after I already imported all my music and put it on my iPod.

I think AAC format sounds fantastic. I have, however, imported a few CD's in Apple Lossless and it does sound better. Not much, but better. I don't think it's worth the extra space you use up though. Is anyone importing in Apple Lossless, wav, or AIFF exclusively?

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I use LAME VBR encoding. http://blacktree.cocoaforge.com/foru...pic.php?t=5783

I have a large collection of FLAC files that I listen to using Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) but I don't import anything using iTunes Lossless or AIFF because if I really need to hear it the way it was recorded, I will listen to the CD

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ourhero

ourhero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G

I tend to use Apple lossless format through choice - space isn't too much of an issue as I plumped for the 80Gb iPod. That's enough for the entire back catalogue of the Pet Shop Boys and tons of Doctor Who DVDs!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I have MP3 and ACC only.

QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
I use LAME VBR encoding. http://blacktree.cocoaforge.com/foru...pic.php?t=5783

I have a large collection of FLAC files that I listen to using Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) but I don't import anything using iTunes Lossless or AIFF because if I really need to hear it the way it was recorded, I will listen to the CD
Interesting, thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourhero View Post
I tend to use Apple lossless format through choice - space isn't too much of an issue as I plumped for the 80Gb iPod. That's enough for the entire back catalogue of the Pet Shop Boys and tons of Doctor Who DVDs!
Do you notice the load time on the iPod lengthening any due to the larger files? I have a 30GB video...which is only about 1/3rd full, but i've thought about importing some of my more frequently listened to CD's in Apple lossless for the iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I have MP3 and ACC only.
Same here. I just tried some lossless importing the other day for the heck of it. Anytime I import something I generally use AAC encoding. It does sound pretty good, especially for the file sizes.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes downloads | How to access iPod via Terminal? »