New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Hopefully, this thread can help any of you recent switchers wondering how to take your iTunes Library off of your iPod or old computer. I'll provide what information I know, and other members can add onto it if they have any helpful suggestions.

1. If you wish to transfer music from your iPod to your new Mac, download senuTi Download Here. Follow the instructions and your new Mac's iTunes library will be able to take any and all songs directly off your iPod.

2. If you have an old PC or Mac and wish to transfer your library to your new Mac by using your iPod as a flash drive.I have already posted on this subject giving step by step instructions. You can find all the information you need to do this here.

3. Transfer your library via your home network. To do this, all you have to do after your network is set up is:
1.) Open your Macintosh HD folder on your new Mac's desktop.
2.) Click on 'Network' in the sidebar.
3.) Click on the name that you designated for your Network. For instance,
mine says 'Mshome,' which was the default name given.
4.) Click on the computer that you'd like to remove files from. Usually,
the name of the computer is a several character long combination of
letters and numbers.
5.) Locate your 'Shared Files' folder.
6.) Import the files you want.

*- I believe you can also access your old computer's iTunes library via
your new Mac's iTunes if you have your computers networked properly.

I hope this solves some of your questions and I invite anyone with any other information to add-on to this post.

Enjoy!

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer

Last edited by TheCustomer99; 04-19-2007 at 06:04 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Great job!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you buy a new Mac and keep your iTunes music and Library in the default location, using the "Migration Manger" application and connecting the two machines via Firewire will move your whole profile, including the iTunes Library, your Files, your pictures and so on, to the new machine.

QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Hey schweb, can we sticky this?

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
jkcalvin

jkcalvin is on a distinguished road

what about the cover artwork? how can i move the existing artwork in old pc to a new pc?
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcalvin View Post
what about the cover artwork? how can i move the existing artwork in old pc to a new pc?
Any album art I had on my PC was automatically transferred along with the songs to my Mac. I didn't have to do anything special.

QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I am posting to keep those, like me, from spending a couple of hours following implicitly the directions for transferring iTunes library from PC to Mac, whether using the iPod as a flash drive or transfering over a network, only to discover, because the music was originally ripped in wma format, that your library will not play in iTunes on the new computer, but in QuickTime.
</run-on sentence>

I just found this thread which says I need to buy easywma ~ hope this saves a few others time and aggravation!

edit: I was WRONG. Woohoo, baby, I found I can transfer my iTunes songs one at a time over my network by playing the song on the new computer! My mac iTunes just copies it right into my library. (When I tried the 'normal' network transfer both systems locked up!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com

Last edited by iKitten; 05-12-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: new information
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

Man, am I ever glad I got this MacBook! PC repeatedly froze up on me during song transfers, in turn freezing Finder through the network. What an ordeal! I was finally reduced to not only transferring one song at a time, but one album ~ in separate folder ~ at a time to keep the process and connection time short enough so as not to lock up both machines again (and again and again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Hey guys, I restored my iPod to factory settings in iTunes, as it was previously formatted for use on a PC.

Before restoring, when I plugged the iPod in the USB port, there was an iPod icon on my desktop, and it appeared under DEVICES in my iTunes.

Now, after restoring it, the desktop shows a random white disk image for my iPod, and it does not appears in iTunes.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
kaz2550

kaz2550 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D

Senuti doesnt work on mine it crashes after transferring about 250 songs grrrrrr. Maybe it's because my iPod is Windows formatted and Im trying to move it to my macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
johndowling@mac

johndowling@mac is on a distinguished road

I have all my music on a new drive. My iTunes library is complete and looks right on my new machine. But iTunes doesn't recognize the new location of the music media. I would like to connect the old file names in the iTunes library to the media in the new location. this way I can preserve playlists, ratings, and other groups and classifications.

Help, please.
QUOTE Thanks
amdavadma

amdavadma is on a distinguished road

My first post; apologies if I am in the wrong section. How can I transfer photographs from iPod to iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
Jon Fitzgerald

Jon Fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

Has anyone had any of the issues with senuti that the comments section on the download site mentions?

I had my Itunes library on my old PC harddrive (which since died). Now i want to transfer my 5th gen 80gb ipod content including videos to my new imac.

However since the ipod content is the only remaining copy of the files (lost some of the CDs ages ago), I'm extremely nervous about using this and losing data.

I also think that the transfer itunes purchases but nothing else option is extremely cynical and downright out of order. Why the **** shouldn't you be able to transfer the entire library if you've copied it off CDs that you PAID for?

This is just a deliberate apple ploy it seems to push people to buy itunes content. Itunes content in the UK is rubbish anyway, why is it country specific? There are movies and albums on the USa store that I'm BANNED from buying becuase I'm registered in Britain. Thanks Apple...

Also one last thing, whats people's experience with Apple store staff? Will they feed me the company line and be unhelpful or will they actually understand the ridiculous nature of the situation and try to help? Call me jaded but I've had many problems with PC tech support people in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
brentsax

brentsax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3

Would it also be sufficient to use iTunes' backup utility to backup your music library to DVD or CD and then copy onto the new Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
hotskate

hotskate has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD

How about a free program to transfer your ipot to a pc?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« charging and playing at the same time | iTunes quits when my iPod Nano 4th gen is connected »